Fall In 2019 Wargame Convention - Valley Forge

Thanks to all who posted these gorgeous miniatures. Clearly, this is as much art as tactics.

I have a friend who takes dolls and "action figures" (which is what you call dolls you sell to little boys) and re-conditions them to compose scenes. Is this common with the wargaming miniatures? "This is a generic general straight out of the box, but this is McClellan."

A good starter Civil War game is "Battle Cry." by Richard Berg. The aforementioned Warlord Games rules "Black Powder" would give a gamer enough rules and inspiration to last a while.

Clearly the precursor of a character in D&D or another tabletop roleplaying game. Do the individual soldiers have individual abilities as part of the rules? For instance, is one a rifleman and another scout or sniper or something? (This becomes the D&D "level 5 fighter with a plus-2 sword" etc.)
Hi, yes the crew all have specific skills and for the most part they are all based upon real characters, there are ace cards with names of famous tank commanders e.g..Michael Wittmann, the cards are only used to make the game more in-depth but many people prefer just to focus on the tanks themselves, there are also upgrade cards for things like armour, engine etc.

I have a friend who takes dolls and "action figures" (which is what you call dolls you sell to little boys) and re-conditions them to compose scenes. Is this common with the wargaming miniatures? "This is a generic general straight out of the box, but this is McClellan."

Sounds like what is usually called a “diorama”. Making scenes for book illustrations or museum exhibits - or simply for personal accomplishment and enjoyment is very common in the larger hobby (as the excellent contributions by all in these threads show).

Way back, my neighborhood friend and I were using (unpainted) toy soldiers to try recreating David Greenspan paintings (from the much-loved American Heritage Civil War books) well before discovering that there were ways to use measuring sticks and dice to simulate fighting.

Sounds like what is usually called a “diorama”. Making scenes for book illustrations or museum exhibits - or simply for personal accomplishment and enjoyment is very common in the larger hobby (as the excellent contributions by all in these threads show).

Way back, my neighborhood friend and I were using (unpainted) toy soldiers to try recreating David Greenspan paintings (from the much-loved American Heritage Civil War books) well before discovering that there were ways to use measuring sticks and dice to simulate fighting.
Back in the day, way before everyone enjoyed the luxury of satellite TV, the BBC ran a weekly tabletop war game show hosted by the actor Edward Woodward, that was my first introduction to wargaming. I remember that they once covered Gettysburg, it was quite funny watching two very well spoken English men calmly explain how they were going to annihilate each other. It’s worth watching just to listen to the countdown at the start of the show. Gettysburg, it’s all very British..what what...

Folks, I put a simple ruleset online here at CWT in a different thread.
If you have a few boxes of plastic ACW soldiers, you might be able to try out some VERY basic wargaming using them.
Warning: I disclaim any and all responsibility for any miniature or gaming addiction arising from this conversation ...
:frantic:

Folks, I put a simple ruleset online here at CWT in a different thread.
If you have a few boxes of plastic ACW soldiers, you might be able to try out some VERY basic wargaming using them.
Warning: I disclaim any and all responsibility for any miniature or gaming addiction arising from this conversation ...
:frantic:
Well, there’s enough of us here to form some kind of self help group! :thumbsup:
You know the kind of thing, my name is Waterloo and I haven’t played a war game in the past 48 hours...round of applause from members.

Although I also tried to replicate the maps from the AH book, this was my introduction to wargaming:
download.jpeg

The War Game by Charles Grant was my formal introduction. (I think it was reprinted in 2008 from the 1971 original - I’ll have to check...)
I didn't know it was reprinted! I had to throw mine out when its warped, dust jacketless cover started shedding pages. Loved that book!

I solo game a lot, and enjoy large scale, 1/32 scale, figures and terrain. I also like gaming with vintage figures.. I don't know why; I guess I like the toy soldier feel. Anyway, this is a skirmish in progress: two scouting parties on a road (that looks like it runs behind Meade's HQ). The figures are original Marx that I painted when I was in 8th or 9th grade. The wagon is an original Marx "Davy Crockett" piece. The game system is "Flying Lead" by Ganesha Games. It's about 3 turns in. 1 Confederate was shot on the road. Everyone is scrambling for cover and it's the Federals turn.

20191207_190103.jpg

Back