Fake Veterans at Reunions

I don’t know how common that was for either side, but what do you think of Mosby’s statement? True, untrue?
True.

Such has been common since antiquity.

It's called " Stolen Valor ".
( civilians that pretend to be Veterans )

It's sickening!

And I say that as a civilian.

Last edited:
I sure there were a few imposter but in order to be a member of a local UCV camp you had to prove you were a vet plus most member knew each other so I don't where there could be that many. There were some spinoff groups such as Forrest Cavalry Corp member and Mosby had one as well. Below is a very rare pin I have in my collection that was given to men who rode with Mosby and the photo is a Mosby reunion.
lapel badge.jpg

B578cdB33_1896MosbyReunion.jpg

A now-deceased colleague, who was a Civil War buff, once told me that it would be pretty hard to pass one's self off as a ACW veteran in our section of Maine. This was because everyone knew everyone else and because other survivors (very thorough in their vetting--no pun intended) would have identified the pretender at once. He added that it was unlikely that anyone would attempt such a thing because it would have been considered quite shameful.

Here’s a thing where it could be faked - when I was little, in the early 1960s, a lot of supermarkets had the oldest Indian, the oldest WW1 vet, the oldest something that you could shake hands with OR the same thing at a fair. How would you ever know they were real or how could anyone verify they really were the oldest?

So, I’m wondering, in the late 1800s and early 1900s if stuff like that went on.

to be a member
Well, years later ... it took as much (if not more) documentation for me to join the MOSB.

But that was after the big "falling out" between the MOSB & the SCV.

I remember during the SCV-MOSB fights. The ladies/girls in the UDC didn't know what to think.
Or so we thought.

:bounce:

Although they "feigned shock" ... they were all laughing at us.

After the MOSB/SCV disputes started to calm down, one UDC member said:
" We were laughing at all of you the entire time ... lil' boys will aways fight
each other during the lunch break"

She was so right !

A perfect "Mars/Venus" observation .

:laugh:

Last edited:
a lot of supermarkets had the oldest Indian, the oldest WW1 vet, the oldest something that you could shake hands with OR the same thing at a fair. How would you ever know they were real or how could anyone verify they really were the oldest?
You're bringing back memories .

:smile:

But now we're showing our age .

But how wish we could go back to those days !

Back