Fake or real? Belt or cartridge buckle? 7th cavalry?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

SparkysMom

Cadet
hello everyone
this is my first post. Can anyone please help by telling me about this item? is it a belt buckle? a cartridge buckle? something else?
And how to find out if its a fake or not?
Im new to civil war items. It looks real, but what do i know? lol.
the back reads:
Military Arms Equipments/ & Ordnance Stores, M. Hartley Co.383 & 316 Broadway, New York NY.

I assumed it was real until I read about how there was a big market and still is for civil war fake items
thank you!

20190425_145744.jpg

20190425_145758.jpg

20190425_145804.jpg

SparkysMom

Cadet
thank you! so when u say repop im assuming reproduction? very curious on what would make u lean that way?

James Brenner

Private
It is certainly not a government-issued buckle, but there's a reasonably good chance it is a militia buckle. Many of the volunteer militia units in the post-Civil War era units purchased their own uniforms and equipment through Schuyler, Hartley, and Graham. M. Hatley Company was the successor to S,H, and G in 1900. If this buckle is what I think it is, it dates to about 1900 and would have been used on a web cartridge belt (Anson Mills) for either a .45-70 or .30-40 Krag.

SparkysMom

Cadet
It is certainly not a government-issued buckle, but there's a reasonably good chance it is a militia buckle. Many of the volunteer militia units in the post-Civil War era units purchased their own uniforms and equipment through Schuyler, Hartley, and Graham. M. Hatley Company was the successor to S,H, and G in 1900. If this buckle is what I think it is, it dates to about 1900 and would have been used on a web cartridge belt (Anson Mills) for either a .45-70 or .30-40 Krag.
thank you James Brenner for your information. Much appreciate it.