Faithful, Newfoundland Dog belonging to Jesse Grant

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
When the Grant's moved into the White House in 1869 they brought 4 children and many pets (animals). One was Faithful, the Newfoundland dog that belonged to Jesse Grant. Jesse had had several dogs who all had passed away while young. He was heartbroken. He received Faithful as a gift but not noted from whom.

Jesse Grant wrote later in his "The Days of My Father General Grant":

"I possessed all the normal small boy's fondness for a dog and acquired several in rapid succession, only to have each, in turn die... Then someone presented me with a magnificent Newfoundland. When this dog came, father called the White House steward. He asked no questions, made no accusations". Grant merely stated: "Jesse has a new dog. You may have noticed that his former pets have been peculiarly unfortunate. When this dog dies, every employee in the White House will be at once discharged."

Jesse named the dog Faithful and he went on to live many years after the White House years. It is said he was a very large and furry dog and very happy and playful.

The Grants had many other animals during their White House years (1869-1877). These besides Faithful included:

Jeff Davis, wartime mount
Cincinnati, Grant's favorite horse
Egypt and St. Louis, carriage horses
Julia, racing horse
Reb and Billy Button, Shetland ponies
Jennie and Mary, Nellie Grant's mares
Butcher Boy, horse
Parrot
Gamecocks belonging to Julia Grant
Rosie, dog

Theirs was a happy family.

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
Interesting story. Thanks for this.

The General's suspicions appear to have been well founded. It must have been unnerving, though, to know the unspeakable villain was still about, and might at any time feel like changing jobs.

It's quite off-topic, but young Jesse Grant had a way of collecting "pets." After leaving office, President Grant took his family on a tour around the world. While visiting Egypt, we read :

"The General wears his pith helmet, swathed in silk, and you just catch a glimpse of the eyes and all the force of his brave, kind, strong face. Mrs. Grant sits near him, shrinking from the sun. Jesse Grant holds an Arab child close to him. The child had been clinging to him, following him all the morning, holding the hem of his coat, following him with the wistful eyes of a pet animal. Jesse had quite won the child by some attention in the way of an orange or an apple, and it came with him on his donkey to the boat, and only left after it had been endowed beyond any Arab child in Luxor that day."
[from: Around the World with General Grant, by John Russell Young (1879), vol. I, p. 300]

When this dog came, father called the White House steward. He asked no questions, made no accusations". Grant merely stated: "Jesse has a new dog. You may have noticed that his former pets have been peculiarly unfortunate. When this dog dies, every employee in the White House will be at once discharged."
What an awful scenario. To think that an employee was deliberately poisoning the pets. And why?

Grant certainly knew how to tackle the problem. No questions, no accusations, just a timely warning put into place.

Grant was succinct in so many things.

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
After seeing newer thread on Newfoundland dogs thought bump this thread.

I have tried to research Grant's dog, Rosie. The dog was supposedly Grant's favorite. It is said it was a black and tan mixed breed. Hope to find picture but still looking.