Fairly new to Gettysburg and could use your suggestions before my visit

tellinghistory

Private
Hey everybody. I'm mainly a Western Theater guy but I'm going to take a 4-day Gettysburg Tour at the end of March. As I am prepping for the visit, I realize that I could use some "insider's tips" of things and places to see from the veterans. I can do that for people wanting to know about the Battle of Franklin, but not Gettysburg.

What are the "must-sees" and "must-dos" on my GB trip? Thanks ahead of time.

Well, there's certainly a lot of folks here who know Gettysburg like the back of their hands. I'm not one of them, lol, but I did do a pretty intense multi-day tour of the battlefield several years ago. Of course there are the "must-sees": Devil's Den, LRT, the Wheatfield, the Peach Orchard, the copse of trees, etc., but I would say don't neglect Culp's Hill either. I think it's often overlooked and I found it one of the most interesting parts of the trip. Just my 2 cents...

I'm heading out to Gettysburg for the 11th time this year. Always more to see. I would certainly recommend going to the Visitor's Center and take a tour with one of the Licensed Battlefield Guides. You'll be glad you did-especially on your first trip there. Have a great trip!
Greg

If you are interested in rock carvings that the veterans did you should definitely go to BRT and to the left of the monuments there are big rocks that have alot of carvings. On LRT there is the carving the veterans did that they felt was the place where Strong Vincent died. At Spanglers Spring there is a carving that a veteran did where he fought from behind a rock.

As far as monuments in the field across from the PA monument you might be interested in seeing the marker to the spot that Willard was killed at. You also might want to check out Evergreen Cemetery where Jennie Wade and John Burns are buried plus a spot where confederates markers are.

Those are just a few I can think of now but if I think of some more will post them here

Hey everybody. I'm mainly a Western Theater guy but I'm going to take a 4-day Gettysburg Tour at the end of March. As I am prepping for the visit, I realize that I could use some "insider's tips" of things and places to see from the veterans. I can do that for people wanting to know about the Battle of Franklin, but not Gettysburg.

What are the "must-sees" and "must-dos" on my GB trip? Thanks ahead of time.

Telling History: Check out some of the Traveler's Forum threads on Gettysburg. They're chock full of suggestions. If I had it all do do over again, I'd schedule more time--but you've got that, so all that's lacking is to do it. We hired a guide at the Visitor's Center, went with him on one round (he was highly agreeable, drove the car so I wasn't having to--nor was I yelling at my husband!) and he took us to the places we asked....do some reading ahead and decide what your "must sees" are, or even better, tell him/her you want an overview. That was great, because we then proceeded to buy the audio tour CD and did it by ourselves late that evening--we were even giving "tours" of our own to a couple of groups who were clueless as to where they were! We knew where we were going, felt comfortable driving around....it was awesome. My favorites were the Lee monument, the NC monument, and then going to the Angle and Bryan's Farm and standing there and looking around. My friend Pam has a special place she wrote about recently that sounds great. Of everything....my MUST SEE is standing at the Armistead marker and seeing how far he got. Have a great time!

I guess if you ask a dozen different people you will get a dozen different answers.
-- One of the unadvertised and under-visited museums in Gettysburg is the Military Museum, a long brick building as you come back to the main road from Culp's hill. The collection of lots and lots of Civil War, WWI, and WWII materials there makes the Visitor Center's collection look anemic by comparison. It is a private collection, I highly recommend it if you wish to research just about any type of original artifact(s) including weapons, uniforms, musical instruments, etc etc. They don't advertise it because it is not handicapped accessible.. I don't understand but that is what I have been told. There is an armored WWII vehicle out front.
-- Another under-visited set of items are the two Whitworth breach-loading cannons near the eternal light memorial. I don't think too many people even notice them.
-- If you are a Freemason, there is the Friend-to-Friend memorial... very touching.
-- The wax museum apparently has a rare Confederate cannon out front that few if any people have noticed how rare it is.
-- The wall where the Federals fought their first battle of the first day is a must.
-- Little Roundtop and devil's den are must-see. You really need to walk across from Confederate avenue across and through devil's den and look up at Little Roundtop to get an idea of the challenges facing the Confederates. Its a *long* walk through an open field in heavy fire, against a fortified position.
-- Stand in front of General Lee's monument and take a good look across the open field at little round top.... field glasses might be helpful to see that far. You have to wonder why he didn't listen to Longstreet while you are looking from that viewpoint.
-- If you like buffets then try General Pickett's Buffet.
-- Oh, and don't forget Dirty Billy's Hats near the town square. I have purchased four of his hats so far.
-- If you can't afford a life guide or tour, then get yourself a self-guided tour recording and follow the signs.
-- You might wish to get "The Gettysburg Companion: A Guide to the Most Famous Battle of the Civil War" by Mark Adkin and/or "The Complete Gettysburg Guide" by J. David Petruzzi

-- Almost forgot, there were only two places during the battle to get water if you were thirsty, Spangler's Spring and a well in town. That must have been a very hot and thirsty battle in the heat of July. Spangler's Spring is a good shaded place to sit, rest and think. Not too many people go there either.

Personally my acquaintances and myself preferred the old visitors center, lots more stuff on display to study their appearance and how they were made and used, and less politically correct and less plastic. But that is just our opinion(s), mileage may vary. ;-)

Lot's of good stuff out by McPherson's Ridge, especially the Railroad Cut.
I walked in from Herr's Ridge early on a relatively quiet tuesday. Stopping,reading,viewing ,by the time I got past the railroad cut to General Lee's Headquarters 2/3rds of my favorite day was gone.

Lot's of good stuff out by McPherson's Ridge, especially the Railroad Cut.

That's one of the places the guide took us.....very nice explanation. I would have had no idea. The really nice thing is that he answered my husband's "newbie" questions as well as my slightly less basic ones--and very politely, too. I enjoyed McPherson's Ridge and the Railroad Cut very much. It would be inappropriate to leave them out, IMHO.

Before you go, download the free walking tour podcasts from CivilWarTraveler.com and listen to them, for the history, not so much for the walking directions. Then take the walking tours with the podcasts while you are there. You need to be in the terrain or you won't understand the battle and the difficulties the sightlines (or lack of them) presented.

so much to see there 4 days wont be enough...i started out a few years ago with 3 days ,ended up coming back 4 mores time for a week each time and still dont think i seen or did everything

When I visit any battlefield, I always park the car and walk the battlefield to get a better feel of the land that shaped the battle. Gettysburg has so much to cover on foot, but I would definitely recommend walking these parts.

- Walk from Reynolds Woods down to the Iron Brigade’s positions on Meredith Avenue down to Willoughby Run and the old Rock Quarry.

- Walk from the Railroad Cut along Reynolds, Wadsworth, and Doubleday’s Avenue until you reach the brick wall and the observation tower where you can get a good view of the battlefield.

- Walk the entire day 2 Longstreet assault portion of the park. If you start at the Peach Orchard, you can walk a loop that covers the Peach Orchard, the Stony Hill, Devil’s Den, Little Round Top, the Wheatfield, Trostle’s Farm, and Humphrey’s line along Emmitsburg Road.

- Walk from the Virginia Monument through the fields of Pickett’s Charge to the Angle and Copse of Trees. When you make it up to Cemetery Ridge, walk the ridge and look for Armistead’s Marker, Cushing Battery, Meade’s Monument, Hancock’s Wounding Marker, Pennsylvania Monument, 1st Minnesota Monument, Father Corby Statue, and many more depending on your interest.

- Walk East Cemetery Hill and the National Cemetery

- Walk from Spangler’s Spring along Slocum Avenue to the Culp’s Hill Observation Tower

If you want to get away from the crowds, take a short drive to East Calvary Field

I would use this website to become familiar with the battlefield and the numerous markers and monuments that dot the battlefield.
http://www.gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/Tours/MainTourMenu.php

Have a great trip!

A couple of thoughts...

Although the hotels right in town (vs those out on York St.) may be more expensive, it's great to stay within the city of Gettysburg itself. I usually stay at the TravelLodge, or the 1863 Hotel, and have never had a bad experience at either. Both allow you to walk to dinner and read the wayside exhibits on Baltimore Street, and contemplate the events that took place in the town itself. (The town, although sometimes overlooked in favor of the surrounding battlefields, also has its own story to tell.)

I'd suggest starting at the Visitor's Center with the film and museum, then hire a licensed guide for their standard two-hour tour. Later, tour the battlefield with the CD audio guide in your car. (There will be some repetition, of course, but going over it a second time will help you absorb everything.)

If there are particular areas you become interested in, maybe return to those spots with the Petruzzi book or with your iPod loaded up with the CivilWarTraveler.com podcast walking tours. Those walking tours, incidentally, are fantastic, but they're also pretty specific. It's probably best to wait until you have a good overall sense of things before you get into that level of detail. But again, I highly recommend them - just be sure to print the accompanying maps and bring them with you.

Treat yourself to an early morning at Little Round Top (the earlier the better). In fact, everywhere on the battlefield is better early in the morning before the crowds descend, but that's especially true at LRT.

Have a great trip!!!

Tom in CT

You may want to sneek a peak at East Cavalry Field 2 miles northeast of the town. No one else will be there but the monuments to the Northern and Southern cavalry.

I stayed outside of Chambersburg in the mistaken belief that there would be no room at the inn in Gettysburg. Could have tried in there, and ought to have. Fortunately, we had to pass through Cashtown and dinner at the Cashtown Inn was sublime. Caution. We got lucky to be seated. Reservations are recommended. But we got to travel the first route into G'burg.

I don't know about Spring, but as it gets later in the day in the summer (say, from 7 pm) the people thin out and you can also have many spots to yourself. We were totally alone at the Seminary, the various spots we wanted to stop on Seminary Ridge, LRT, Rose Farm......I think Devil's Den was the only occupied spot, really. We used the audio CD at that time, and it was fine. (I think the podcasts would be awesome! Hope I get to try them sometime)

Back