1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Fair Game, Ladies Take Aim At War

Discussion in 'The Ladies Tea' started by JPK Huson 1863, Apr 21, 2017.

1. JPK Huson 1863

JPK Huson 1863 Colonel Forum Host

fl po.JPG

With so many volunteers in residence during their run in cities they maintained their own post office, ( From NYPL's digital collection, this represents a volunteer at Brooklyn's 1864 Fair and is entitled ' Anything For Me? ' ) , Sanitary Commission Fairs raised over 25 million dollars for the benefit of wounded. That's around 370 million today ( I said around- art majors are a little soft on math ).

You could be sick or wounded or both, as a soldier. Conditions so vile they remain legendary 150 years later made camps veritable cesspools of disease. In June, 1861 the newly formed Sanitary Commission declared war on an enemy which, they said, killed four men inside camps for every soldier killed in battle.

fl san fair nypl 1.JPG
    Using this because it is one of the only images indicating how these connected with what we know of ' fairs '- " Your True Weight " and other forms of entertainment were available beyond the famous exhibits.

fl san fair nypl 2.JPG
    Lavish? Goodness. Even by the standards of our Victorian ancestors- the same people who gave us mourning in the form of art-hair and teethofthedead as rings, Sanitary Fairs were a testament to over-the-top grandiosity. The public ate it up- and wounded soldiers lived.

Cont'd.....

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. JPK Huson 1863

“…….. the United States Sanitary Commission was a relief agency that took as its mission the supply of food, potable water, clean clothing, bandages, hospital equipment, bedding, writing supplies, and postage to soldiers in the Union Army. “
    http://bam150years.blogspot.com/2012/03/1864-brooklyn-sanitary-fair-part-1.html

We've ' done ' the Sanitary Commission although no one could do it justice. Genius behind an outpouring of compassion like nothing comparable in our History were the plans to fund relieving suffering. There were quite a few fairs held in major, Northern cities. We see the most from Philadelphia's 1864 fair- a photographer having been employed as visual record keeper

Brooklyn, New York's ( also ) 1864 Sanitary Fair caught my attention hugely. From the usual displays of industry to bake shops to games, incomprehensively the exhibit ' heavy machinery ' appears more in the nature of a packed and joyful ball room. Pretty awesome. In juxtaposition? Some of the most gloomy, for some reason headlining weavers the world has known. Love this stuff. And the funds rolled in.

fl san fair brook loc.JPG
    I 'think ' this is Brooklyn's bake shop/display- more like a Ball Room
    fl san fair crowd 1.JPG
    And this is " heavy machinery ", honest, not a gala.

fl san fair brkl.JPG
    Headliners- the Spinning Downings. Really do not mean to laugh but..... goodness.
    Edge of your seat stuff.

fl san fair bk kitchen1.JPG fl san fair bk kitchen2.JPG

fl san fair bk p1.JPG

fl san fair bk phil kids.JPG
    This is Philadelphia's children's display- unsure if it was by or about children?

fl san fair brk.JPG

fl san fair brookl print2.JPG

san fair br mc1.JPG
    NYPL, sketch depicting one of the stands at Brooklyn's Fair

fl san fair brooklyn.JPG Brooklyn's location- guessing a little different today

fl san fair nautical.JPG
    They thought of everything- this is the nautical stand! It's Philadelphia's

fl san fair pic.jpg
    Before the public- Sanitary Commission volunteers, Philadelphia. God Bless them.

4. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

Wonderful as usual :smile: Thanks for posting this!!!

5. Cavalry Charger

Cavalry Charger Sergeant Major

I love the heading! Quite a 'hook', and women are great, aren't they? ':wink:

amweiner and JohnW. like this.
  6. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

Oh, I think so!!! :D

Cavalry Charger and amweiner like this.
  7. captaindrew

captaindrew Sergeant

Very interesting stuff, I would like to learn more about what when on at the home front

8. MissREP

MissREP Private

In that last photo, under the "Wilcox and Gibbs" sign (left hand of the picture)--are those sewing machines?

JPK Huson 1863, JohnW. and amweiner like this.
  9. amweiner

amweiner Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

JPK Huson 1863 and JohnW. like this.
  10. amweiner

Hear hear! None of us would be here without them, on many levels.

11. Cavalry Charger

So nice when we agree, @JohnW. :D:D

12. Cavalry Charger

:wink: It takes two, as they say, @amweiner . Let's just say we're all great, 'cos we are :bounce::bounce::bounce:

13. amweiner

I'm raising my coffee mug in salute, my friend! :smile:

14. JPK Huson 1863

HOLY chain stitch, Batman, you have a great eye!! Yes, indeed- Wilcox and Gibbs made some non-cumbersome machines you'd have to imagine ladies swooned over. I'm not hugely familiar with old sewing machines and failed miserably at using modern ( dratted things run after you, spitting thread! Found it as stressful as sprinting ahead of a locomotive. ) have had occasion to lug those things around? Besides being far less elegant, plastic and white, of all colors, modern machines are sure cumbersome.

willcox_&_gibbs_1860_sewing_machine_sewalot.jpg
    1860. a Wilcox and Gibbs . Or a jigsaw. :giggle:

MissREP likes this.
  15. JPK Huson 1863

Nicely put! May occasionally have had to repress an impulse to strangle my husband (since Time began, cavewomen have had to come find the blasted mustard right there, in the fridge, dear, and no, I did not move your shovel ) but he is terrific. Apart from this tendency to put on uniforms and shoot at each other, most men are.

Cavalry Charger likes this.
  16. Cavalry Charger

Hahaha JPK Huson 1863! Truer words have never been spoken :wink: Glad you've resisted the impulse, and I'm sure your husband is, too!

JPK Huson 1863 likes this.
  17. JPK Huson 1863

Oh, you're welcome! It was all such a massive undertaking it is difficult, conveying how huge. And a little baffling? At Bull Run it became clear everyone decided to hold a war but mostly forgot to bring bandaids- the few surgeons simply overwhelmed, hospitals nearly non existent compared to casualties and supplies pitiful. Crazy. What is baffling is how unprepared the armies remained, all those years- like the last disaster had not occurred. Civilian efforts like this sprang up out of nowhere, and swiftly- beyond the Sanitary Commission there was the Christian Commission, then various state groups and so many church and ladies groups it is impossible to name all of them.

captaindrew and Cavalry Charger like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)