Factual Lincoln Assassination book

CraftyMauiMamma

Private
I have started reading Lincoln assassination stories and found that in the four books I've read so far, none of them agree on every detail, though each presents their story as factual. :cautious:

Can anyone recommend a book in which I can find out what is truth and what is supposition? I don't need "a nice story", just something that is upfront about what is really a fact and what is a conclusion. :nerd:

I have started reading Lincoln assassination stories and found that in the four books I've read so far, none of them agree on every detail, though each presents their story as factual. :cautious:

Can anyone recommend a book in which I can find out what is truth and what is supposition? I don't need "a nice story", just something that is upfront about what is really a fact and what is a conclusion. :nerd:

I don't think you will find a book that is totally factual or true. The myth making of the last 150+ years has obscured many facts. Also just as today, you can have 50 people witness an accident and no 2 will see the exact same thing. Read all you can find on it and research it and develop your own conclusions. Spoon fed history from both sides is never totally correct. Too many historians, with too many agendas.

Civil War Flags.jpg

Respectfully,
William

I can recommend two but they deal more with the hunt for Booth and the aftermath of the assassination than the plot itself. They are:

Swanson, James L. and Daniel R. Wienberg. 2006. Lincoln's Assassins - Their Trial And Execution (William Morrow, New York). This one is a table-top sized book and pretty good. It has lot's of pictures, newspaper articles of the day, and documents.

Swanson, James L. Manhunt. I'm not sure what happened to my copy but it's a very good account of the hunt for Booth and what happened when they found him.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Third vote for Swanson,

Do not under any circumstances read Killing Lincoln. No foot notes for references, and a tacit pushing of a well debunked conspiracy theory (if you are going to tell this historians they are wrong you'd better give me the references to the primary documents that helped you form your conclusion).

There are several books by Ed Steers that are well regarded. This is a good start:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0813191513/?tag=civilwartalkc-20
Thank you, these look terrific.

Third vote for Swanson,
Do not under any circumstances read Killing Lincoln. No foot notes for references, and a tacit pushing of a well debunked conspiracy theory (if you are going to tell this historians they are wrong you'd better give me the references to the primary documents that helped you form your conclusion).
Unfortunately, I have, and this may be the cause of much of my confusion and irritation. :banghead:

Swanson, James L. Manhunt. I'm not sure what happened to my copy but it's a very good account of the hunt for Booth and what happened when they found him.
Hope that helps.
I did read Manhunt and enjoyed it very much. I will look to get additional titles from this author as he comes so well recommended.

Mr. Young, you may cause me to break the bank AND, as I may injure myself in so doing, and as you have no disclaimer, you may want to think about lawyering up!!!:bat: :wink: :rofl: :roflmao:
"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes." -Desiderius Erasmus

Third vote for Swanson,

Killing Lincoln was meant for the general populace and marketed to turn a tidy profit. I have it but haven't read it yet. It will be one of those I read when I have some downtime.

I also have Swanson's but haven't read it yet either. I have read his youth version to preview it for my classroom and it was pretty good. It's one of my most checked-out books. I'm hoping the adult version is just as good.

Killing Lincoln was meant for the general populace and marketed to turn a tidy profit. I have it but haven't read it yet. It will be one of those I read when I have some downtime.

I also have Swanson's but haven't read it yet either. I have read his youth version to preview it for my classroom and it was pretty good. It's one of my most checked-out books. I'm hoping the adult version is just as good.
Manhunt is good. Swanson's more recent book on the Lincoln funeral and capture of Jeff Davis was disappointing.

Last year I spent several months reading about the assassination. The collection of "transcripts" of the trial of the conspirators was really interesting and his encyclopedia of the assassination was indispensable. The Mary Serrat Society publishes surprisingly good stuff, some of which makes its way to the web. Steers himself has a small web presence.

Back