Restricted Facts, Fables & History

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

PapaReb

Private
So many misunderstandings and out and out lies told about the War. Most simply believe what they have been told without ever researching for the facts. Not casting any stones here...been there myself. Well Grandpa said, or my Mom told me that....then you grow up and learn that a lot of what you were taught growing up wasn't quite historically correct.

What is the biggest misconception or out and out falsehood that you encounter?

Fairfield

Corporal
The misconception that won't go away is how the whole Yankee Army marched down South to free the slaves. No other purpose just being "good guys".
Gee, I don't know about the rest of the Union army but, from my research, that's pretty much why the Mainers did.

NH Civil War Gal

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Gee, I don't know about the rest of the Union army but, from my research, that's pretty much why the Mainers did.
Abolitionists from Massachusetts...
New Englanders are a special case and were much more aware of abolitionism in general then the rest of the Union army and it's reflected in their letters. Off my soapbox so as to not derail the thread.

The myth I can't say I was taught directly, but I somehow absorbed being in New England, that there was only one side to this great war and there weren't any other issues behind it.

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Myth: That the plantation economy was dying out in 1860.
Fact: The plantation economy was booming in 1860; 1860 was the best cotton crop ever in the antebellum; slavery was extremely profitable in 1860.
<David W. Blight, The Civil War and Reconstruction (HIST 119). Yale Courses, Number 2.>

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Myth: Most Union soldiers were draftees.
Fact: About 6% of Union soldiers were draftees while about 20% of rebel soldiers were draftees.
<David W. Blight, The Civil War and Reconstruction (HIST 119). Yale Courses, Number 13.>

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Myth: All Southern Blacks were slaves.
Fact: Of the roughly 4.5 Million Blacks in the South in 1860, about 200,000 were Free.
<David W. Blight, The Civil War and Reconstruction (HIST 119). Yale Courses, Number 13.>