Grant Facsimile of the Celebrated Antrobus Portrait of General U.S. Grant

Mike Serpa

Major
Facsimile of the celebrated antrobus portrait of General U.S. Grant, painted on the battlefield of Chattanooga 1863-4 - LOC #02238
02238v.jpg

John Antrobus was born in England in 1837 and died in Michigan in 1907. His original 1863 painting of Grant is below.
JA.jpg

http://www.civilwarinart.org/items/show/73

From the text in the OP: Antrobus traveled to Chattanooga, Tennessee, where Grant was headquartered and made sketches of the general. Antrobus then made two paintings: this three-quarter length view and a full-length portrait. In the painting Grant’s posture reflects the same stance held by George Washington in an earlier painting and signifies the high value placed on Grant’s service. When Antrobus displayed the painting, it was reported that visitors crowded his studio for glimpses of the general. Lincoln saw the full-length portrait in Washington, D.C., shortly before promoting Grant to Lieutenant General, a rank previously only held by George Washington.

The picture must be the three-quarter length one. I tried last night to find the full-length one but was unsuccessful. The photo below shows a horse at Gran't left side. I believe it is the upper half of the full-length picture.
Grant.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lauraerickson

This might be the original full-length picture. Go to 2:24 in the video. From the Galena History Museum. It looks like the facsimile.

Thanks for that further info, Mike, and think you might be right.

Surprised to see this Museum also holds the original Thomas Nast painting of the surrender at Appomattox. They have some great artifacts.

He is holding field glasses.
I actually knew that, but didn't express myself very well! Both times I meant the cannon, but his hand is resting on it rather than holding it (which is the way I described it). What's nice is no one thought less of me for possibly not knowing what a pair of field glasses looked like. One of my favourite things about this site! What I am noticing now that I'm looking is that the field glasses look slightly different in all of the images posted.

Back