Faces of the Civi War Navies

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I am part way through Faces of the Civil War Navies 'An Album of Union and Confederate Sailors' by Ronald S. Coddington. If one is interested in Civil War images of sailors they might like this book. There are 90 images of Civil War sailors. Most are Union officers and there are a limited number of Confederates (12 images all officers). Each images come with a couple pages of information about the sailors in the images.
navy 44.jpg

There are some interesting images of uniforms but not enough to call this a great reference on naval uniforms. I do not believe I have ever seen an image of a Navy Chaplain so I found that interesting. I wish Coddington could have found a couple CSA Navy ratings to tell their story.

Can I brag a bit? Mr. Coddington signed my copy.

Last edited:
If you want to have 'The' reference book on U.S. Navy uniforms this is the book. Every Civil War uniform reference library should have this book.

navy 343.jpg

Also helpful are the huge uniforms pates in full color with descriptions , Uniforms of the United State Navy 1776-1898.

If you like Civil War U.S. Marine uniforms then get The United States Marine Corps the Regulations of 1859 by Lt. Col. Charles H. Cureton , USMC (Ret.0 and David M. Sullivan

One might want to add these older books to their Civil War naval uniform library.
Uniforms of the Sea Services by Colonel Robert H. Rankin
Uniforms of the Marines by Colonel Robert H. Rankin

Last edited:
Back