Discussion Eyewitness Accounts Of The Battle Of Franklin

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

scone

Sergeant Major
Tennessee - From the "The City Between The Lakes"

Stock

Private
I will be in Franklin in a couple of weeks. I have mixed feelings about the visit as far as what I can see or recognize along the battlefield. From one source Ive hear maybe 110 acres are preserved. The Carter House. So I will be focusing on the overall geography of Franklin...the Harpeth River, the Union fort location on the other site...Springhill etc, the general lay of land of the 2 miles the CSA troops had to cross in their attack.. Does anyone know of any official civil war museum in Franklin? When I visited Fredricksburg I was crushed to learn that neighborhoods sat on the battlefield. Reminding everyone to give to the Battlefield Trust so they can continue to buy battlefields back from pizza places etc.

scone

Sergeant Major
I will be in Franklin in a couple of weeks. I have mixed feelings about the visit as far as what I can see or recognize along the battlefield. From one source Ive hear maybe 110 acres are preserved. The Carter House. So I will be focusing on the overall geography of Franklin...the Harpeth River, the Union fort location on the other site...Springhill etc, the general lay of land of the 2 miles the CSA troops had to cross in their attack.. Does anyone know of any official civil war museum in Franklin? When I visited Fredricksburg I was crushed to learn that neighborhoods sat on the battlefield. Reminding everyone to give to the Battlefield Trust so they can continue to buy battlefields back from pizza places etc.
Spring hill is before franklin, Rippavillla & Spring hill battlefield park... Lot has been reclaimed at franklin compared to my last visit … Suggestions - Winstead hill, Carter House, Lotz House, Collins farm , Eastern flank Battlefield Park , Carnton , Fort Granger

Stock

Private
Spring hill is before franklin, Rippavillla & Spring hill battlefield park... Lot has been reclaimed at franklin compared to my last visit … Suggestions - Winstead hill, Carter House, Lotz House, Collins farm , Eastern flank Battlefield Park , Carnton , Fort Granger
Thanks for the tips. Its a long drive up there so I surely need to make the most of my time there.

scone

Sergeant Major
War is hell as Sherman said … . could have been stopped Spring Hill … Corps officers there didn't want a night battle … Cross the pike less than 24 hrs and it was vise versa and the slaughter was on … Then my relatives went in in the dark Go in with torches as your only source of light besides the flashes in front , while stumbling over the wounded dead and dying .

They had ace card and threw it away it seems

alikat

Cadet
I will be visiting Franklin in over a month. The tale of Carrie McGavock Of The Carnton Plantation is on the list and I cannot wait to experience it. The cemetery and house that was used as a hospital have many stories to tell. I believe we spend most of the day centered on Franklin.