Eyeglasses

Steel Cross

Corporal
If anything can go wrong with a set of eyes, I have it. Not debilitating, but bad enough that I'm totally out of commission if I can't find my specs in the morning. The lenses are very thin in the center and about 4 feet thick on the edges. Before I went to plastic, I would have to put them in my coat pocket when I came in from the cold winter weather because they had a tendency to "pop" and shatter. The best way to describe what I wear is "coke bottle bottoms" and that is with the latest techie developments of the 21st century. So, I need to know what period correct frames would look like so I can show the frame maker. It's probably going to look either like I'm blind or that I have a pair of binoculars strapped to my head. Any help?

http://focusers.com/mcallister.html

The following are from Blockade Runner

grannyglasses.gif

These look Really good

http://www.historiceyewearcompany.com/page/29/new-products

I worked in a custom optical lab for ten years and I hope I haven't forgotten.:unsure:

If your lenses are thin in the center and very thick on the edges you are probably a myope with a "high minus" prescription. Or you may have a lot of prism ground into your lenses but this usually occurs on one edge of the lens (up, down, in, out).

Important to find a frame with the 'A' measurement and bridge measurement (sometimes known as frame PD) equal to your interpupillary distance (IPD or PD). This way your lenses will have equal thickness at the edges (unless you have prism). A smaller 'A' measurement equals smaller lenses and less thickness. High index plastics are thinner but more expensive.

If the people in the lab know what they are doing they should be able to hand grind a back bevel. I would recommend to not get polished edges. A couple more things can be done with proper frame choice. The optician (dispenser) should know what to look for.

Anti-reflective coatings and photochromic lenses were not available in the 1860s if using glasses for reenactment.

Here are a few period photos:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/pnp/cwpbh/00900/00958v.jpg

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/pnp/cph/3g00000/3g06000/3g06300/3g06313v.jpg

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/pnp/cwpbh/00500/00567v.jpg

If anything can go wrong with a set of eyes, I have it. Not debilitating, but bad enough that I'm totally out of commission if I can't find my specs in the morning. The lenses are very thin in the center and about 4 feet thick on the edges. Before I went to plastic, I would have to put them in my coat pocket when I came in from the cold winter weather because they had a tendency to "pop" and shatter. The best way to describe what I wear is "coke bottle bottoms" and that is with the latest techie developments of the 21st century. So, I need to know what period correct frames would look like so I can show the frame maker. It's probably going to look either like I'm blind or that I have a pair of binoculars strapped to my head. Any help?

Steel Cross,

I've seen Civil War era eyeglasses for a child who had extremely thick lenses.

I would go to E-Bay and look under search phrase "Civil War era eyeglasses" or "Victorian" --

The hook around the ear is most practical in my opinion, as I look down frequently but, originally they were to keep glasses on when riding a horse, which back then, also included jumping fences and hedges to cut the trip short. The straight side pieces would be ok and often are associated with unmounted pursuits. There were colored lenses, some having a bullseye ...shooting glasses they are called.

You will want frames that are 'screw' hinges. This will allow the new lenses to go in. My guy took plastic and hand ground it to be flat as to look period and, have kept the original lenses. Using the originals, traced the area of which is held by the frame. There are some frames that can't be tampered with.

Brass (gold looking metal) and silver (nickel) are available.

Pre-1860 eye wear, as exampled with General Grant's daughter playing a part in "Mother Hubbard" wears rimless glasses, to which the side pieces are fine gold. I have a pair identical to it that was hidden and tucked into a 1812 circa Lap Desk/Writing Slope. Extremely comfortable and may wear these era glasses as they certainly feel better than nose pads but, that is just me...

I think more on period eye glasses can be pulled from the "Advanced Search" on CWT.

M. E. Wolf

Period original glasses can be had at very inexpensive prices, I paid $12 for one pair and $6 for another at various antique shops. The issue comes w/ putting replacement lenses in. If they have the lead plug instead of screws... it won't happen, optic places won't touch them. But if they have the screws, no problem.

I wear glasses.
But I could get by without them at events. I am near sighted, so I don't care if the opponents are blobs out there at 150yds. But I still wear a period type of glasses out in the field. I have seen too many cap pieces flying around the air, including some that imbeds themselves in freinds faces and necks. I only have 2 eyes and really want to keep them. So i have safety glass installed in mine, at least I have a bit of protecton this way. Same as those ugly ear plugs.

Eyeglasses will be the biggest problem for me - my glasses are especially made for my eyes, so I don't know if I could cope walking around without them.

Steel Cross,

I've seen Civil War era eyeglasses for a child who had extremely thick lenses.

I would go to E-Bay and look under search phrase "Civil War era eyeglasses" or "Victorian" --

The hook around the ear is most practical in my opinion, as I look down frequently but, originally they were to keep glasses on when riding a horse, which back then, also included jumping fences and hedges to cut the trip short. The straight side pieces would be ok and often are associated with unmounted pursuits. There were colored lenses, some having a bullseye ...shooting glasses they are called.

You will want frames that are 'screw' hinges. This will allow the new lenses to go in. My guy took plastic and hand ground it to be flat as to look period and, have kept the original lenses. Using the originals, traced the area of which is held by the frame. There are some frames that can't be tampered with.

Brass (gold looking metal) and silver (nickel) are available.

Pre-1860 eye wear, as exampled with General Grant's daughter playing a part in "Mother Hubbard" wears rimless glasses, to which the side pieces are fine gold. I have a pair identical to it that was hidden and tucked into a 1812 circa Lap Desk/Writing Slope. Extremely comfortable and may wear these era glasses as they certainly feel better than nose pads but, that is just me...

I think more on period eye glasses can be pulled from the "Advanced Search" on CWT.

M. E. Wolf
The other issue is that each pair of lenses costs about $60 gazillion, trust me on that, I've worn thick lenses since I was four y.o, and had a wonderful respite for about 20 years when I could wear contacts, but those days are gone.

So, it's chicken and egg. The frames need to fit the prescription lenses, but the lenses have to be specially ground -- I've gone to the mall stores and they laugh at me when they see what I need. I think I'm going to have do decide on a frame or two, and then take them to the opthamologist for him to determine if they will carry the thickness that I need and not fall out during the jostling of a regular reemactment. BUT, this gives me a start.

The other issue is that each pair of lenses costs about $60 gazillion, trust me on that, I've worn thick lenses since I was four y.o, and had a wonderful respite for about 20 years when I could wear contacts, but those days are gone.

So, it's chicken and egg. The frames need to fit the prescription lenses, but the lenses have to be specially ground -- I've gone to the mall stores and they laugh at me when they see what I need. I think I'm going to have do decide on a frame or two, and then take them to the opthamologist for him to determine if they will carry the thickness that I need and not fall out during the jostling of a regular reemactment. BUT, this gives me a start.

Agreed.

It gives you a reference point. Before the 150 cycle, there were plenty of eye-glasses on sale on E-bay. Very educational also. I've given a few frames away to some very nice fellows as a thank you. Yet, I would say that I've seen a photograph of a fellow that had very thick frames in black. Maybe Wilber6150 (who is a re-enactor also) will recall the photograph of a Confederate officer if memory serves me correctly.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/civilwarantiques/111122webcat.html
(will have to scroll down a piece)

http://www.historiceyewearcompany.com/historiceyewear/files/OnYourFaceFinal2-2.pdf

I do wish you much success in this area.

Respectfully,
M. E. Wolf

Agreed.

It gives you a reference point. Before the 150 cycle, there were plenty of eye-glasses on sale on E-bay. Very educational also. I've given a few frames away to some very nice fellows as a thank you. Yet, I would say that I've seen a photograph of a fellow that had very thick frames in black. Maybe Wilber6150 (who is a re-enactor also) will recall the photograph of a Confederate officer if memory serves me correctly.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/civilwarantiques/111122webcat.html
(will have to scroll down a piece)

http://www.historiceyewearcompany.com/historiceyewear/files/OnYourFaceFinal2-2.pdf

I do wish you much success in this area.

Respectfully,
M. E. Wolf
Or you could send me one of what ever you have left. Yes, I will stoop to anything!!:D

Steel Cross.. na bro, your good...... just saying it's awesome when folks actually respond when their question is answered, instead of people posting pant load of info and the OP never even saying 'thank you'.....and it was a thread on ink in the CW period, not the call "Tattoo"

Well, Steel Cross,

I'll know who to send spare rims to :D:thumbsup: [[Pun Alert]]

M. E. Wolf
I liked it. But, I don't get it.
Steel Cross.. na bro, your good...... just saying it's awesome when folks actually respond when their question is answered, instead of people posting pant load of info and the OP never even saying 'thank you'.....and it was a thread on ink in the CW period, not the call "Tattoo"
RB, When communicating with yr. obt. svt., remember: small words, short sentences, concrete directions. Anything beyond "stand here; play now" causes silent pandemonium and total internal metaphysical, biological and psychological collapse.:cry: :cold::frantic::skip:

Back