GRAPHIC Eye And Face Battle Injury's

"Under wartime conditions, there is no doubt that Civil War soldiers were left with difficult-to-fit eye
sockets. Materials used for implants in reconstruction of the orbit included glass, gold, aluminum, cotton,
asbestos, wool, silver, rubber, silk, catgut, peat, wire, agar, bone, fat, petroleum jelly, and paraffin."

Wow. Although that sounds medieval by today's standards, give the Doctors credit for trying anything to help those guys.

As with such other technologies born of war, apparently the few Doctors that experimented with optical/facial reconstruction & prosthetics in the 1860's advanced the science of what was to come. I have seen many such photographs from World War One, (lessons had been learned and applied), but the results were still far from perfect. The major advances in this branch of surgery would not occur until after the Second World War.

Great link Custer's Luck ! Thanks.

I wish there was more about the people who lived through this, sure we know about the ones who lost legs, arms, but not these poor guys, I"m curious how they dealt with there life and how people treated them.If any one has any knowledge or anything that was written could you post thanks.

Back