Exclusive: Stonewall Jackson's Great-Great-Grandsons Call for Removal of Confederate Monuments

JD Mayo

Retired User
An interview with the great-great-grandsons of Confederate General Stonewall Jackson. At least 1,500 symbols of the Confederacy can be found in public spaces across the country. But now a number of the monuments are coming down. Calls for the removal of the statues are even coming from the descendants of the leaders of the Confederacy. We speak with two of the great-great-grandsons of Confederate General Stonewall Jackson. Jack and Warren Christian have just written an open letter to the mayor of Richmond calling for the removal of the Stonewall Jackson statue in Richmond. They write, "Our sense of justice leads us to believe that removing the Stonewall statue and other monuments should be part of a larger project of actively mending the racial disparities that hundreds of years of white supremacy have wrought."

This is on my 5th great grandfather's side William Winn, his seconded great granddaughters side of the family Julia Laura Christian. Which is General Stonewall Jackson's great great grandsons. But I've never meet these guys they look so much like Stonewall. This was two years ago

Last edited by a moderator:

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
Are we sure they're actually descendants? We've had people claim that sort of thing before, only for it to turn out to not be true. Jenny Horne from SC, credited for getting the battle flag removed from the State House grounds, claimed to be descended from Jefferson Davis, but it turned out to be another man with the same name rather than "the" Jefferson Davis. The media played up the "descendant calls for removal" angle, and they still do, every time.

jcaesar

Private
The media did the same thing with Thomas Jefferson of finding two of tens of thousands of descendants to attack him and argue needs to be canceled and his monuments to be removed.

Its a old trick to cherry pick a few voices out of many to say what they want said to give the appearance those voices are the only ones out there.

Last edited:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
That’s a good question. What then? I am not one to speak for those who have passed on-
Would anyone here accept their requests for the monument’s removal and accept it as the last word on the subject?

@Georgia ,

I have often seen on this forum post relating to family history and that such stories are defended as accurate by family members whenever they are called into question by other members and other sources.

So, who do we wish to agree with that has the more accurate facts or views?

Family members or historical sources by professional historians?

Georgia

Sergeant
@Georgia ,

I have often seen on this forum post relating to family history and that such stories are defended as accurate by family members whenever they are called into question by other members and other sources.

So, who do we wish to agree with that has the more accurate facts or views?

Family members or historical sources by professional historians?
Considering it’s about the very volatile concept of monuments, I know my personal opinions on the matter. However, my personal opinion doesn’t sound useful as those much more involved in the process don’t sound positive over mediation.
I didn’t know if purists would always agree with family members from those they admire over making their own decisions about the situation.
It wouldn’t surprise me even if these men were relatives of Jackson, they hadn’t been asked or somehow financially aided to speak thus opinion. I’m sorry to have to say that but I’m learning in today’s climate it seems to be a normal process.
However, if these men had been part of the Jackson House museum and had been involved for years with both VMI and sharing the families legacy, then I might think less negative or judge mental thoughts about the situation. I prefer to believe that isn’t the case and they are speaking truthfully from their personal opinions based on something they know about their ancestor and how the family has chosen to honor his memory.
Has those involved with the museum and school along with others in this community of the monuments issues know these two previously?

PapaReb

First Sergeant
That’s a good question. What then? I am not one to speak for those who have passed on-
Would anyone here accept their requests for the monument’s removal and accept it as the last word on the subject?
On the word of just two of his descendants? Highly unlikely. Now if there was a consensus among the majority of his descendants then, in my opinion, that would carry more weight.

There is also the position that some would take saying that he was a person of such historical significance that his legacy and memorials are no longer simply possessions of his descendants, but that they are in the realm of the public. I could easily argue both sides of that stance but I would be personally inclined to give the nod to a consensus of the family if it could be clearly proven.

Last edited:

Georgia

Sergeant
On the word of just two of his descendants? Highly unlikely. Now if there was a consensus among the majority of his descendants then, in my opinion, that would carry more weight.

There is also the position that some would take saying that he was a person of such historical significance that his legacy and memorials are no longer simply possessions of his descendants, but that they are in the realm of the public. I could easily argue both sides of that stance but I would be personally inclined to give the nod to a consensus of the family if it could be clearly proven.
Thanks for your reply. I wondered if there had been any other interactions with these two family members in the past- or, if they’ve just now gotten involved. If there are many family members who feel a certain way, I could see taking their wishes to heart. Otherwise, I don’t think this would influence me terribly much.

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
Are we sure they're actually descendants? We've had people claim that sort of thing before, only for it to turn out to not be true. Jenny Horne from SC, credited for getting the battle flag removed from the State House grounds, claimed to be descended from Jefferson Davis, but it turned out to be another man with the same name rather than "the" Jefferson Davis. The media played up the "descendant calls for removal" angle, and they still do, every time.
This right here was where I realized the media was full of it, and was full of it on Confederate-anything issues ever since, really dropped a red-pill on me. Her ancestor's name was Jefferson Davis Horne, and she lied through her teeth.

All this iconoclasm, all this emotional appeals, all this "racial healing" about it. All a lie. And things based on a lie collapse eventually.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Considering it’s about the very volatile concept of monuments, I know my personal opinions on the matter. However, my personal opinion doesn’t sound useful as those much more involved in the process don’t sound positive over mediation.
I didn’t know if purists would always agree with family members from those they admire over making their own decisions about the situation.
It wouldn’t surprise me even if these men were relatives of Jackson, they hadn’t been asked or somehow financially aided to speak thus opinion. I’m sorry to have to say that but I’m learning in today’s climate it seems to be a normal process.
However, if these men had been part of the Jackson House museum and had been involved for years with both VMI and sharing the families legacy, then I might think less negative or judge mental thoughts about the situation. I prefer to believe that isn’t the case and they are speaking truthfully from their personal opinions based on something they know about their ancestor and how the family has chosen to honor his memory.
Has those involved with the museum and school along with others in this community of the monuments issues know these two previously?

Just can't say if anyone from the museum and school have commented on these issues.

I, however, am very leery on supporting any issue on just "belief" or "feelings."

Looking really for further information on the topic so I can form an informed opinion, which it will always be, just my opinion.

Georgia

Sergeant
This right here was where I realized the media was full of it, and was full of it on Confederate-anything issues ever since, really dropped a red-pill on me. Her ancestor's name was Jefferson Davis Horne, and she lied through her teeth.

All this iconoclasm, all this emotional appeals, all this "racial healing" about it. All a lie. And things based on a lie collapse eventually.
Not pleased to see the lying that went on- but, let’s be honest, the confederate flag ( or what most view as the confederate flag) didn’t need to be flown on the state house.

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
Not pleased to see the lying that went on- but, let’s be honest, the confederate flag ( or what most view as the confederate flag) didn’t need to be flown on the state house.
Seeing as how it didn't belong on top of the capitol dome (Mississippi being an exception), it was part of a compromise to appropriate it to the Confederate soldiers memorial on the grounds. Which was more than appropriate because it was a compromise between the SCV and NAACP.

It wasn't the SCV who reneged that compromise soon after.

Andersonh1

Brigadier General

It wasn't on the State House dome, that had come down in 2000. It was flying behind the Confederate Monument at the State House.

Dead Parrott

Sergeant
I think some miss the point here. It's not that family members have any special rights regarding a monument staying or going. They are just one more voice, pro or con.

I think the point is simply to show that loyalties can change with time - and old wounds, even long nurtured, and even with loyalty as close as family relations, can be healed.

That's all. It's just an example, an important lesson for our country as we move forward.

Jamieva

Captain
Forum Host

Robert W Lee IV. Just sayin. Didn't someone on this forum prove through ancestry.com that he was not related to RE Lee? His whole lineage story is his grandmother sat him on her knee when he was small and pointed to a picture of Lee and said they were related. That's it. That's like my father who insists there must be some way we're related to Sam Houston because our last name is Houston and we're both from Virginia.