Excellent Letter about the Battle of Fredericksburg

The whole article is terrific, thanks for the link! Quakers who left their sect to join are always fascinating anyway, this man told his story beautifully. Grgrgrandfather left to fight, his grandfather had done the same thing during the Revolution and was permitted back. Grgrgrandfather married a stern Methodist, never figured out if she was why he didn't try to rejoin the Quakers or had rules become tougher.

Here is one of my favorites fom an engineer officer about throwing the bridges.
Headquarters Detachment of 50th NY Engineers
Opposite Fredericksburg, Dec 16th, 1862

My dear Dunklee,
I have just received yours of Nov 24th from Concord. Wgere the devil the letter had been all this time I cannot imagine. I begin to think that you like almost everyone else had forgotten me. I have not time now to write you a description of my doings since I wrote Mrs. Dunklee and up to my arrival here but will try to do it some time. When the attack was made on the enemy at Fredericksburg on the 11th instant I was to lay three bridges opposite the town and the 15th NY Engineers and the Regular Engineers each lay one about two miles below town. The post of honor was assigned to me with my detachment of six companies about six hundred men but only about four hundred for duty. The 15th and the regulars were not attached while laying their bridges and lost no men. The enemy posted in the houses and behind walls and fences contested the construction of the bridges assigned me most obstinately and even with four regiments of infantry and about one hundred and fifty pieces of artillery to cover us we were repulsed three times. In
the fourth attempt we succeeded in finishing two of the bridges and that night we finished the other. The army immediately commenced crossing. My loss was as follows;
1 Captain killed

3 Captains Wounded

4 total commissioned officers

Enlisted men

7 killed

33 wounded

40 total privates and noncommissioned

44 total killed and wounded

This was out of about 120 men exposed over 1 in every 3 exposed.

The loss of so many men and the sufferings of the wounded make it a sad affair.

I may say to you what I would not to every one because it would look like boasting, that when my bridges were finished General Woodbury commanding our brigade shook me manly by the hand told me I had done nobly that I had exposed myself without glint and congratulated me on my success.
During last night and this morning after having suffered terrible losses in the battles on the other side our troops evacuated Fredericksburg and after the rear guard had crossed we dismantled our bridges. We expected to have been attacked by the enemy while taking them up but were not. My bridge material is still in the water on the shore and just on the edge of the shore and in the attempt to remove it and put it on wagons we may suffer loss as the enemy are not likely to allow it to be removed if they can help it. I was to have removed a part of it tonight but on account of the passage of the flag of truce with the wounded the order was countermanded and we shall not make the attempt until tomorrow night.
You may have seen a paragraph in the papers which I understand went the rounds of all the northern papers that “Major Spaulding and his officers were arrested for delays in bringing the pontoon trains from Washington. The only notice I ever had of the arrest was contained in the newspapers and so far from being censured we were commended in high quarters for overcoming extraordinary difficulties. Someday I will try to write you a description of my trip.
I am very glad indeed to hear such good news of Josie. Present her my warmest congratulations.

In relation to the houses. Tell your father that as soon as I can get any money I will send him some and will make up the $130 as fast as I can. I have not received any pay for nearly four months and am as poor as a church mouse. Besides all my other expenses being heavy. My expenditure on horses is ruinous. I have used up several horses and in the attack on Fredericksburg I lost two horses with all their equipment.

I shall be glad to have your father trade off the 5 year old mare for anything serviceable. I don't much like a horse and to stand my work a horse should not be more than seven or eight years old. Above all a horse for my use should have good feet and be sure footed. Still if nothing better can be done with the mare let your father trade her off for the black horse and if he does not suit me I can probably exchange him.

Any Col of a regiment coming on with his command can bring him with his horses as his own free of cost for very few ever bring the number of horses they are entitled to. If he joins this army let him bring him with him and drop me a line to care of Gen'l Woodbury, Engineer Brigade. We are almost always camped near the headquarters of the commander in chief.

Give my best love to Mrs Dunklee your sisters and the rest of the family and remember me most kindly to all my friends in New England. Give particularly my best regards to all of Capt Dodge's family not forgetting Helen Spaulding. Write oftener and ask Mrs Dunklee to write. Where is Will? Remember me to him and all at home not forgetting Charly Pierson.
Good Bye
Ever your friewnd
Ira Spaulding

If the horse is sent to Washington direct him to the care of the Dr Wallace, Pennsylvania Ave, Washington.

Back