First Bull Run Excellent John Hennessy talk about First Manassas

Andrew

Corporal
I attended my first Civil War Round Table meeting a couple of weeks ago, and I think I lucked out. John Hennessy gave a talk about the first battle of Manassas, but it ended up being much more than that. He started to talk about the new edition of his book on First Manassas, but instead of a lot of X's and O's, he used the battle as a launching pad to talk about many of the larger issues related to the war, our perception of it, how we deal with our history, and some parallels between what happened in 1861 and what's happening now.

It was one of the most insightful talks I've heard about the war and it touches on some of the discussion topics that come up on this forum often. I thought many here would find it of interest.

Here's a link to the page with the audio recording (about an hour long) and presentation slides: http://brcwrt.org/?page_id=158

I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on the talk.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through.

His comments (starting at 9:00 ish) about how some of us view the war or refer to aspects of the war are interesting and timely for me. I've recently been taking a more sobering look at Gettysburg and think my perspective may adjust a bit during my next visit there.

And I do hesitate when I discuss my desire to learn about the war when talking with other people. I consciously stop myself from saying, "I love the Civil War!" Though I think any normal person would understand what I would mean by saying that, it does indeed sound weird. (It's like posing for a picture on the battlefield with a big smile. You are happy to be there, but it's a battlefield. The two things don't mix well.)

However, I don't think there's anything particularly bad about saying one has a favorite general or a favorite battle. I don't think that automatically means the person is approaching the subject too lightly. I would argue one can understand the gravity of the subject while still enjoying the process of learning about it.

It certainly doesn't hurt to deeply consider the ugliness of it all. If he's speaking of a balanced perspective, then yes...I think that's a good thing.

The comparison to the Bull Run spectators and what we do today was quite a kicker! :D I can't laugh at the Bull Run spectators anymore, now can I?

What I take away from some of the the issues presented is a continued maturing of how the CW is both presented to and perceived by the greater public. Gone are the days of using the word "celebration" when observing different anniversaries for battles et al. Even more enlightening: gone are the one-dimensional, romantic presentations of our favourite heroes and battles (one can still have favourites, but viewed in a more historical context). Like a crystal held to the light, the CW has taken on many facets in its interpretation, and I for one, welcome the complexity and inclusiveness.

Those who don't study the past are doomed to repeat it. The world and its denizens are steeped in history, not our paltrey 450 years. They live in it. Is this taking it lightly? To not remember history is disrespecting our ancestors. imho :wink:

Back