Ewell, Richard S.

About Richard S. Ewell:

"Saw General Ewell on his crutches. He was walking on parapet. I remarked that I thought Ewell had an artificial leg; wondered he did not use it. Lieut. W. replied that Ewell said he was waiting before getting an artificial leg to see if the authorities were going to hang him; if he was going to be hung, he did not care to go to the expense; intended to wait and make out on his crutches until that matter was decided. Ewell has a sense of humour."

by Alexander H. Stephens in his Recollections.

"It is astonishing to me that our people do not pass laws to form regiments of blacks. The Yankees are fighting low foreigners against the best of our people, whereas were we to fight our negroes they would be a fair offset and we would not be as now fighting kings against men to use a comparison from chequers." - General Richard S. Ewell, 20 July 1862

Ewell.JPG

This man was known for his profanity. The following remarks were not made by Ewell but about him.. It was said he could "Swear the scalp off of an Apache". And another soldier remarked that Ewell was "the most violently and elaborately profane man I ever knew" and that his swearing "seemed the result of careful study and long practice". I can't give the exact quote but Ewell once remarked that between His Swearing and Jackson's Praying the two of them could whip the Devil himself.

Back