Sherman Evilizing General Sherman

@sonofboth and other new members:

Listen to the nice folks who are trying to steer you away from the wrath of the moderators. As you're fairly new, you'll get one break (as in I won't delete your post above and I won't zap you or report you)....but one is my limit.

New members, please read the rules and terms of membership you agreed to when you joined. If there is ever a question about something being appropriate, feel free to PM a moderator and ask before posting, to save heartburn. It's too late once you've been reported by 20 or so members and gotten into a cyber shouting match with another member or two. Can't help you at that point.

And a heads up--once you're on our radar....well, you're on it for a loooooooong time.

Posted in Capacity as Moderator

Thank you for patience but I have no real interest in continuing on this forum.So if one of the moderators would be so kind as to delete my account I would appreciate it. Best to all

Thank you for patience but I have no real interest in continuing on this forum.So if one of the moderators would be so kind as to delete my account I would appreciate it. Best to all
That's too bad. If you'll re-read the terms of membership, we don't do that. If you change your mind, we'll still be here. Best of luck.

Can't quit so soon, sonofboth. We have this kind of conflagration all the time. Leaving so soon after entering kinda brands you as one who is not about to stand and understand the nature of a board like this one.

Sure, it gets rough from time to time, and you've been ganged up on. But you really ought not take that personally. We tend to monkey-pile now and then. Everyone gets a bit of that now and then.

I've never read a bio of Sherman. Was about to start Fighting Prophet but I also have books by Kennett, Miers and Coburn. Suggestions? ?

Marszalek would be my first choice. He's not a Sherman apologist, either, and points out his flaws as well as his virtues. All his books on Sherman are well worth the read.
That one isn't on my shelf though......yet.

That's how he waged war on white folks. Quite different with the Plains tribes. And I'll stop....this thread isn't about the Indian Wars. Personally, I find Sherman to be extremely intelligent and morally disturbing.

You should read about Sherman's attempts to use Quakers as Indian agents and fighting only defensively against them at first. After over four hundred settlers were slaughtered in one raid, he changed. When he saw whole families massacred HE turned to harsh war. Even extermination in kind.
He apparently tried the soft way.

I forget the book.

What Sherman did was foist a load of refugees upon the CS, refugees the CS did very little to care for and what it proved to the world as well as the average CS citizen was that by late 1864 the CS was nothing but a hollow shell. Perhaps that is the true reason Sherman and his men were hated by the likes of Davis and his supporters today.

There you go. Here's all the people we didn't really associate with and our slaves!

Sherman I believe was sincere in wanting to end the war quickly. A lot of good men with reason to hate him discovered they liked him. There. Now that I've proven I can be fair, I still hate him, because he personally gave the order to destroy Randolph, not once but twice (not that there was much left the second go round) despite knowing and admitting that there were no rebels there at the time. And my people had homes in Randolph. And that's not the only thing he destroyed that I care about and would like to be able to see. I, me today, profoundly resent the loss of my family's history. Sherman and everyone who lived back then is dead today. But the history should not be gone, and it is gone, for so many people, because of him.

He was a vandal. And that's me being polite.
I totally agree. I collect Barnum's Civil War sculptures--Sherman (although expensive) is in the closet

Allie-do you agree that Sherman was a "total warfare" monger, like I do?
Well, that's not the sort of comment I tend to toss around lightly, in this crowd. But I would say that dismissing his attitude to war as typical for the time and place does not fit the facts as we know them. No other individual in the Union army made the statements he made, or anything close.

Can't quit so soon, sonofboth. We have this kind of conflagration all the time. Leaving so soon after entering kinda brands you as one who is not about to stand and understand the nature of a board like this one.

Sure, it gets rough from time to time, and you've been ganged up on. But you really ought not take that personally. We tend to monkey-pile now and then. Everyone gets a bit of that now and then.
I sure did yesterday, regarding Cobb's Legion and my dream of 52 years of being shot off my horse at East Cavalry Field..

Well, that's not the sort of comment I tend to toss around lightly, in this crowd. But I would say that dismissing his attitude to war as typical for the time and place does not fit the facts as we know them. No other individual in the Union army made the statements he made, or anything close.
When Forrest killed black soldiers (every one) and their white comrades, it was ignored. So I suppose there were atrocities on both sides, as in every war.

When Forrest killed black soldiers (every one) and their white comrades, it was ignored. So I suppose there were atrocities on both sides, as in every war.
Actually there was a Congressional investigation into Fort Pillow, and there were black survivors of Fort Pillow, so he didn't kill every one, and neither was it ignored. Whether or not it was an atrocity and whether or not it was appropriately dealt with are points that are disputed enough to have entire books written about them, but those two statements are incorrect.

I see him as a lot like Jackson. He made some outrageous statements but his bark was far worse than his bite.

R

Back