Everyone’s dressing "Civil War Chic" like they’re in ‘Little Women’

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
Regardless of how "accurate" the costumes may or may not be in the movie, women have taken quite a liking to the styles in the film:

Everyone’s dressing like they’re in ‘Little Women’ now
By Raquel Laneri

little-women-fashion-01.jpg

Florence Pugh, Saoirse Ronan and Emma Watson in "Little Women." AP

Lauren Wades was a jeans and T-shirt kinda girl. But as the title credits rolled for “Little Women” — the buzzy new adaptation of Louisa May Alcott’s novel about sisters in 1860s New England, which has six 2020 Oscar nominations, including for Best Picture — the 19-year-old English major was daydreaming about billowing blouses, sweeping skirts and capacious capes.

“I loved basically everything [Jo March] wore,” Wades tells The Post of the movie’s tomboyish heroine played by Saoirse Ronan.

1580910736027.png

So she headed to Anthropologie, where she promptly snapped up a navy cotton-and-lace smock with a high neck and ruffled bib.

“I was like, ‘Oh, my gosh! This is just like the “Little Women” aesthetic!’ ” says Wades, who lives in Pinehurst, NC. “It had that Victorian twist, but still felt comfortable and freeing.”

Lots of women — and even men — have fallen in love with “Little Women’s” Civil War chic. Fans of the Greta Gerwig-directed flick and its fashions are blowing up...
Rest of Article/more pics :https://nypost.com/2020/01/22/everyones-dressing-like-theyre-in-little-women-now/

1580910459137.gif

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
This reminds me of when I was about six years old and I loved reading and watching on TV Little House on the Prairie. My mom was an excellent seamstress, and she sewed me a bunch of my very own praire dresses and bonnets.
I've noticed since the 50's the "prairie" dress look has come in and out of fashion just like lace, ripped jeans, leather skirts/pants etc. The only difference is the popular media of the day package it's promotion differently after it's slightly tweaked and so-called "updated"

Cavalry Charger

Captain
Interesting.

I was in Sydney a few years back and as my daughters and I walked around a shopping centre at Darling Harbour we saw several women and children all dressed in period dress (circa 1800s). They looked amazing and, of course, they stood out amongst the crowd. I thought they must have been part of a production of some kind, or that something was being filmed close by for them to be dressed in that fashion. I actually went up to one of the women and asked her and she told me they just enjoyed dressing from this period and also created all their own clothing. Strange cults came to mind :bat:, but as she wasn't handing out pamphlets I guessed that some people actually just enjoy the fashions of a certain era. And very brave ones walk around city shopping centres without concern for the looks they might get :confused: To be honest, it was like stepping back in time ... which I guess is what every reenactment is like as well :smile: