Sherman Every Day is Sherman Day

You didn't. Nobody did. That's just the problem. When the subject is causes of the war, slavery fits ... northern working conditions are an irrelevant diversion. So, why are they even mentioned?
No, what you're doing is the diversion. We have several forums here that have nothing to do with the causes of the war (foods, weapons and ammunition, Mid-19th Century life, etc.). Outside of you and Matthew, no one else mentioned causes.

And I will say this has turned into a large diversion. My initial point was, and still is, Matthew's modern-day trope about 'moving away' if Southerners didn't like what Sherman somehow built (no, he didn't) and blame that he justly deserves in his role of Native interactions. I have never claimed slavery wasn't the major cause of the war. But I also don't believe it was the only thing being discussed in the era. Hence, a desire to have discussions where the same individuals don't invade and insert slavery when it wasn't a topic. This diversion is not of my doing.

No, what you're doing is the diversion. We have several forums here that have nothing to do with the causes of the war (foods, weapons and ammunition, Mid-19th Century life, etc.). Outside of you and Matthew, no one else mentioned causes.
But when, in those forums, are northern working conditions discussed? The subject only seems to come up during discussions of slavery. If the topic is working conditions, free and unfree might seem both to be relevant ... or might not. Both represent capital's unprincipled exploitation of labor. The main difference is, if you decide to quit, do they send the bloodhounds after you?

But, as you say, we are getting far off course from the OP.

Last edited:
I still say Sherman would have nothing to do with any day named in honor of him. He did not want to fight at first, after meeting Lincoln, was derailed and maligned in the press later that year, did not want to run for President and would have no political position. Sherman's own demeanor would not allow such a day. He would scoff, and mark it as irreverent.
Lubliner.

I still say Sherman would have nothing to do with any day named in honor of him. He did not want to fight at first, after meeting Lincoln, was derailed and maligned in the press later that year, did not want to run for President and would have no political position. Sherman's own demeanor would not allow such a day. He would scoff, and mark it as irreverent.
Lubliner.
Sherman likely knew he could not handle the stress or the accountability that came with being in office, hence his dislike for the press.

Back