FL Evergreen Cemetery, Jacksonville, Florida

luinrina

2nd Lieutenant
Silver Patron
IMG_6360.JPG

Evergreen Cemetery was established in 1880. Over 250 Civil War veterans are buried here, both Union and Confederate. I had been unsuccessful in finding a plan of the cemetery online before the trip; you will definitely need one. The cemetery is HUGE.

I stopped at the cemetery office at the entrance and got a map there (I'll scan the map of the cemetery when I'm back home and upload it). I was lucky the attendant was a history buff and very helpful in locating some of the places I wanted to go. Some others I couldn't go find. The lady at the front desk told me it's their procedure to give them the list of names, they will look them up and then get back to you with where they are buried, which might be from one day to several days. Since I didn't have the time, I took what I got. And I got one extra which I hadn't known about.

My no. 1 priority: John Jackson Dickison, the Swamp Fox of the Confederacy. He is to Floridians what Lee and Jackson are to Virginians.
IMG_6354.JPG

The extra I got: James Tomb of the Confederate torpedo boat David. The attendant told me the following story: The David attacked a Union vessel and by the explosion got water into its boiler which killed the fire. Believing the boat was sinking, three men abandoned ship. One, the pilot, remained behind because he could not swim. James Tomb who was the assistant engineer felt guilty for leaving a comrade behind and swam back. He got the fires working again and he and the pilot pulled away with the David. The other two were later captured by the Union.
IMG_6352.JPG

IMG_6353.JPG

Mary Martha Reid - She worked in the Florida Hospital in Richmond to be closer to her son who served in a Florida regiment in Virginia. The hospital was closed in 1863; she then worked neard Richmond in the Howard's Grove Hospital. Her son fell mortally wounded at the Wilderness and she supervised his burial. She worked as a nurse until the war ended and fled Richmond in the same train that Jefferson Davis used.
IMG_6368.JPG

Ossian B. Hart - a prominent Unionist and opponent to secession. Served as Florida's 10th Governor from 1873 to 1874 (he died in office).
IMG_6356.JPG

James P. Taliaferro - served in the Confederate army from 1864 to the close of the war, elected Senator from 1899 to 1911.
IMG_6357.JPG

IMG_6358.JPG

Richard Cox Ivory - a veteran I stumbled across near Dickison's grave.
IMG_6355.JPG

Some Confederate graves can be found around Martha Reid's grave.
IMG_6370.JPG

IMG_6373.JPG

Almost all of them had these lying at the base of the headstone. I put this one on top as a rescue mission - ants had built a nest on top of the grave marker on the ground and after I cleared the nest away to see the marker, the token came to light.
IMG_6382.JPG

IMG_6371.JPG

IMG_6372.JPG

IMG_6374.JPG

IMG_6375.JPG

IMG_6376.JPG

IMG_6377.JPG

IMG_6378.JPG

IMG_6369.JPG

IMG_6379.JPG

IMG_6380.JPG

IMG_6381.JPG

IMG_6383.JPG

IMG_6384.JPG

IMG_6385.JPG

IMG_6386.JPG

IMG_6387.JPG

IMG_6388.JPG

IMG_6389.JPG

IMG_6390.JPG

I put this one on top as a rescue mission - ants had built a nest on top of the grave marker on the ground and after I cleared the nest away to see the marker, the token came to light.
I do that too when possible when I visit cemeteries. 🙂

View attachment 347197

Evergreen Cemetery was established in 1880. Over 250 Civil War veterans are buried here, both Union and Confederate. I had been unsuccessful in finding a plan of the cemetery online before the trip; you will definitely need one. The cemetery is HUGE.

I stopped at the cemetery office at the entrance and got a map there (I'll scan the map of the cemetery when I'm back home and upload it). I was lucky the attendant was a history buff and very helpful in locating some of the places I wanted to go. Some others I couldn't go find. The lady at the front desk told me it's their procedure to give them the list of names, they will look them up and then get back to you with where they are buried, which might be from one day to several days. Since I didn't have the time, I took what I got. And I got one extra which I hadn't known about.

My no. 1 priority: John Jackson Dickison, the Swamp Fox of the Confederacy. He is to Floridians what Lee and Jackson are to Virginians.
View attachment 347198

The extra I got: James Tomb of the Confederate torpedo boat David. The attendant told me the following story: The David attacked a Union vessel and by the explosion got water into its boiler which killed the fire. Believing the boat was sinking, three men abandoned ship. One, the pilot, remained behind because he could not swim. James Tomb who was the assistant engineer felt guilty for leaving a comrade behind and swam back. He got the fires working again and he and the pilot pulled away with the David. The other two were later captured by the Union.
View attachment 347199
View attachment 347200

Mary Martha Reid - She worked in the Florida Hospital in Richmond to be closer to her son who served in a Florida regiment in Virginia. The hospital was closed in 1863; she then worked neard Richmond in the Howard's Grove Hospital. Her son fell mortally wounded at the Wilderness and she supervised his burial. She worked as a nurse until the war ended and fled Richmond in the same train that Jefferson Davis used.
View attachment 347202

Ossian B. Hart - a prominent Unionist and opponent to secession. Served as Florida's 10th Governor from 1873 to 1874 (he died in office).
View attachment 347203

James P. Taliaferro - served in the Confederate army from 1864 to the close of the war, elected Senator from 1899 to 1911.
View attachment 347206
View attachment 347207

Richard Cox Ivory - a veteran I stumbled across near Dickison's grave.
View attachment 347205c
I love the comments with each one. I must be more diligent with my research. Thank you again for the post and photos.

Some Confederate graves can be found around Martha Reid's grave.
View attachment 347270
View attachment 347273

Almost all of them had these lying at the base of the headstone. I put this one on top as a rescue mission - ants had built a nest on top of the grave marker on the ground and after I cleared the nest away to see the marker, the token came to light.
View attachment 347282

View attachment 347271
View attachment 347272
View attachment 347274
View attachment 347275
View attachment 347276
View attachment 347277
View attachment 347278

View attachment 347269

View attachment 347279

View attachment 347280

View attachment 347281

View attachment 347283

View attachment 347284

View attachment 347285

View attachment 347286

View attachment 347287

View attachment 347288

View attachment 347289

View attachment 347290
Thank you. This may help someone find a lost relative. I feel they should all be remembered, and not forgotten.

Thank you. This may help someone find a lost relative. I feel they should all be remembered, and not forgotten.
That‘s what I figured. Since it weren‘t that many I took a picture of each headstone. I even went back to the Union section because I hadn‘t photographed them all at my earlier stop.

As promised, here's the map of the cemetery. The entrance is on the lower left corner of the map. The older cemetery section with the Union monument and Confederate graves I posted above are to be found on the right side where you see the blue circles. The straight line in the center of the map is a rail track.

The office has detailed plans of the various sections. If you know to which section you need to go, you could ask them for a copy. I got one for the CW section with the James Tomb and J.J. Dickison graves.

Attachments

• Jacksonville, Evergreen Cemetery - Map.pdf
    255.3 KB · Views: 63
Back