Euroarms Rifle--Was '41 Mississippi Rifled to .54 w/Collins (Remington) Sword Bayonet

28thNewYork

First Sergeant
Silver Patron
Hello--I've greatly enjoyed this entire site over the brief time I've been a member and now find myself in need of some serious historical advice. I am not a reenactor but rather an amateur genealogist and historian. My current project is trying to "put together" as authentic a reproduction uniform and equipment as possible for two of my great grandfather's brothers, both of whom initially served in the 28th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment (1861-1863).

Right now, I am concentrating on one of the larger components of this reproduction, the weapon and bayonet. Extant information on the regiment indicates that they were initially (approx. June 1861)equipped with 1841 Mississippi percussion weapons rifled to .54 (should it be .58??) caliber and equipped with a sword bayonet modified by Collins (under contract from Remington). I am specifically seeking advice relative to the best "stand-ins" for this weapon and bayonet. I anticipate these to be display items only, since I pretty much swore off firing any weapons since my stint in the Infantry ended in 1971. Any info on the Sword Bayonet for a '41 which Fall Creek currently lists would be particularly welcome.

Thanks, in advance, for any responses.

Carl G. Camann
Atlanta, GA

Last edited:
@johan_steele--Great info. Appreciate the pics and info on the sword bayonet (which I've found at at least one other sutler). Lodgewood, unfortunately, has no reproductions and any "real" '41s are too dear.

Have found a mid-'90s Euroarms Mississippi in very good to excellent cosmetic shape with clear unpitted bore for a reasonable price. In researching this particular model, mention is made that "early" examples did not have a removable breech plug. The seller (private party) indicates he doesn't know. Any one have any information on how to easily tell (I will have right to return after inspection if I purchase).

@johan_steele--Great info. Appreciate the pics and info on the sword bayonet (which I've found at at least one other sutler). Lodgewood, unfortunately, has no reproductions and any "real" '41s are too dear.

Have found a mid-'90s Euroarms Mississippi in very good to excellent cosmetic shape with clear unpitted bore for a reasonable price. In researching this particular model, mention is made that "early" examples did not have a removable breech plug. The seller (private party) indicates he doesn't know. Any one have any information on how to easily tell (I will have right to return after inspection if I purchase).
http://www.lodgewood.com/Euroarms-M1841-Mississippi-Rifle-with-Hoyt-Rifled-Barrel_p_1653.html

Not a bad price and it's a reputable dealer. Good luck and let us know what you get.

Just completed arrangements on a Euroarms M1841 Mississippi from a private individual and former N-SSA member. Have posted a photo in the Reenactors Forum under "SNY Impression/Representation". Now to decide whether the reproduction Sword Bayonet and scabbard is worth my while (despite being the only one available)...

Not Shoot that Mississippi Rifle!!!!

Shooting modern rifles is b-o-r-i-n-g, but a Mississippi Rifle fired with REAL black powder and a Minie Ball will throw a long flame out of the muzzle and you will be enveloped with a bluish/gray smoke cloud of pure history!!! You will be missing a lot of FUN!

You might be able to find an original bayonet adapter for the '41 searching on line. I THINK the RIFLE SHOPPE has a cast repro but they're pretty slow with delivery. I'm wondering if a machinist could make a copy in good steel ???? Or am I dreaming ????

Back