CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
Adjutant and Inspector Generals Office
Richmond Dec 6, 1862
Special Orders No. 286
Paragraph XII

Major J D Thomas, Quarter Master at Chattanooga Tennessee is hereby Authorized to have Manufactured at the Etowah Iron Works, nails sufficient to construct nineteen Hospitals now in process of erection.
By Command of the Secty of War
Jno Withers
Asst Adjt General
Nails Etowah Ironworks Dec 1862.JPG

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/7403401 - image 71

@Stiles/Akin you will be interested in this.

Yes I am scheduled for a speaking engagement Thursday November 3 at 7pm in Watkinsville. Look forward to seeing you there!

Any chance of a video coming out of your presentation ? :smoke:
Not yet. The presentation Im doing on Nov 3 in Watkinsville is regimental history and stories of the 16th Georgia - not the Etowah IronWorks.

I dont have it in video format as it is still a "work in progress." :unsure: Besides .....if I put it out there on video, no one would ever want me to speak in person. :bounce:

I have met a number of descendants by "appearing in person." In Feb at the Jackson County Historical Society, this man walked in with his elderly mother on his arm. He was a large man, about my age, and very handsome so I immediately took notice. :giggle: He was so kind with his elderly mother. Anyway, turns out he is the 2x great grandson of this man, Capt Augustus Columbus Thompson. You may have seen this image at the LOC.
Augustus-C.-Thompson-of-Co.-G-16th-GA.jpg

Capt Thompson Company G "Jackson Rifles" raised in Jackson County. The descendant and his mother still live there today. He provided me with a copy of this image which is a little known and earlier version of Captain Thompson.
A C Thompson from descendant.jpg

If I wasnt "appearing live" I would have never met him. BTW the descendant, the man I met in Jackson County, looks EXACTLY like this second image of Capt Thompson - except a bit taller, broader, and older. And he was in well-fitted Wranglers and a plaid shirt - not an officers uniform. :giggle:

Last edited:
This, Madame, is nonsense. :smile:

:cannon:WOW. Thanks guys, but yall know me so.....I think you may be a bit biased. While you might be interested in hearing my stories, I think most people would watch the video and think they know everything there is to know about the regiment. And that would be a shame. :nah disagree:

There are sooooo many interesting stories about the regiment and its service, I usually tailor the presentation to the anticipated interests of the audience. For example, when I went to Jackson County, of course I included a lot of references, letters, and diary entries pertaining to Co B and G (both raised in that county.)
Did you know, they usually only give you like 45 minutes to "perform?!?!!?!" :bounce:Its really hard to decide what to include and what to leave out.

Back