Estimated Location of Where General Barksdale Fell at Gettysburg

@Historicus1324 It has been my impression that the 111th N.Y. engaged Wilcox's Brigade, specifically the 8th and/or 10th Alabama, having moved slightly to the right of the rest of Willard's Brigade on the orders of Hancock. If that is correct it would seem the regiment most likely to have shot Barksdale would have been the 126th N.Y., would it not, (see Second Day at Gettysburg by Schultz and Mingus). Just an observation.

John

Great thread. Has anyone tried to walk from the Willard's death monument to where Barksdale fell?

I forgot about this thread on my last two trips out. I had planned to walk out to the Willard death marker from the Pa monument but we got tuckered out both trips and didn't make it. I was wondering if it is possible to do both on the same walk from either Sickles's Avenue or the Pa monument. I don't recall ever crossing Plum Run around the Willard marker so I don't know how soupy it is.

@Historicus1324 It has been my impression that the 111th N.Y. engaged Wilcox's Brigade, specifically the 8th and/or 10th Alabama, having moved slightly to the right of the rest of Willard's Brigade on the orders of Hancock. If that is correct it would seem the regiment most likely to have shot Barksdale would have been the 126th N.Y., would it not, (see Second Day at Gettysburg by Schultz and Mingus). Just an observation.

John

I would tend to agree with you regarding the 126th having wounded him based on the placement of that regiment in the line of advance. I was just relaying an interesting reference note from Batchelder.

Great thread. Has anyone tried to walk from the Willard's death monument to where Barksdale fell?

I forgot about this thread on my last two trips out. I had planned to walk out to the Willard death marker from the Pa monument but we got tuckered out both trips and didn't make it. I was wondering if it is possible to do both on the same walk from either Sickles's Avenue or the Pa monument. I don't recall ever crossing Plum Run around the Willard marker so I don't know how soupy it is.

I was there in April 2019 right after heavy rains and it was a mess to get to the Willard monument, but once I got there I found - due to the width of Plum Run in that area and the amount and thickness of the vegetation - walking to the site of Barksdale’s mortal wounding would have been almost impossible. Even if it were drier and the run was fordable by foot the vegetation in that area was indeed thick. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but ya gotta want it to be successful!

Back