Essentials for today's kitchen

I never had a really good, favorite saute pan until I recently got a Le Creuset one (actually it is more of a braising pan, but I use it like a saute pan, and can also use it in the oven). All of the sudden, when a recipe says to saute over medium heat, I can actually saute over medium heat, not medium high or high, like my old saute pans required. It took some getting used to! But now I love it, and also the 8 quart Dutch oven I got at the same time. I've made chili and soup in that. Le Creuset is mega expensive, and I had to save up, but I love it. Now my husband is set for birthday and Christmas gifts for a while so I can add on to my set!:D

I will say this from experience. Without good quality SHARP knives. All else is an uphill struggle. I went through a period of just getting by, before shelling out for the real McCoy. After that, what was infuriating before, became an easy pleasure.
Oh. gotta add. If you use a wooden chopping board. Change it often. It's a haven for nasties. Or get a glass one.

We need to replace our flat, teflon square skillet.
Can't find a quality one anyplace.
Any place that might have one?
I need to replace one too, I plan to get a calphalon one, they are reasonable and hold up really well, you should be able to find them at bed bath and beyond.

I need to replace one too, I plan to get a calphalon one, they are reasonable and hold up really well, you should be able to find them at bed bath and beyond.

I'll check them out.
I like a sturdy handle, and a thick skillet.
So far we've just found the thin, flimsy skillets.

Re: Cutting boards & things
Wood cutting boards are apparently healthy/safer than plastic or anything else. I read a study where they took raw chicken and chopped it on various kinds of boards, then wipe them off and let them sit for a period. Over time the bacteria growth curve on a maple cutting board peaked and then declined; whereas on other boards the growth curve never peaked! The chemical structure of wood apparently contains elements which are to some extent anti-bacterial.

The worst cutting board you can use is glass. A glass board will dull your knives faster than anything!

Please do not buy Teflon brand coated pots or pans. If they are heated on a stove without anything in them, outgassing from the Teflon takes place and can be lethal to pets at the very least. I personally know a guy who lost a $25,000 Macaw because he left a Teflon coated skillet heating on the stove while he took a phone call in the other room.

I'm a big fan of Calphalon brand cookware. A dozen years ago, when I "hung out my skillet" as a Personal Chef I bought a set of Calphalon and I'm still using it today.

Thanks for all the advice on cutting boards.

I always wash mine between everything I do. For example, If I cut a tomato, I wash the board before I cut next tomato or whatever I am next cutting.

Also be sure to wash all vegetables and fruits before you put them in refrigerator or use them. I am sure you all do but have known folks who don't. I always wash off the tops of cans and my milk jugs or cartoons and all soda bottles. You don't know who has touched them or where they have been. But I am kind of a cleaning nut and worry about germs.

As long as this is a cooking thread I made this dish for the kids yesterday and it was a HUGE, HUGE hit:
It was really cheap, really tasty, popular and I'd wager I could have fed 20 kids.
I steamed the cabbage rather than boil and Julianned it to 1/2" strips.
A HUGE bag of noodles at Smart and Final is barely $2.60.
Lawrys Seasoned pepper (not seasoning salt) worked well too.

Re: Cutting boards & things
Wood cutting boards are apparently healthy/safer than plastic or anything else. I read a study where they took raw chicken and chopped it on various kinds of boards, then wipe them off and let them sit for a period. Over time the bacteria growth curve on a maple cutting board peaked and then declined; whereas on other boards the growth curve never peaked! The chemical structure of wood apparently contains elements which are to some extent anti-bacterial.

The worst cutting board you can use is glass. A glass board will dull your knives faster than anything!

Thanks for the correction Ken. I have always felt comfortable washing clean the glass, rather than washing off a wooden board. I suppose I could always use different wooden ones. Rather than the damp one previously used for meat.
Good to have a professional to pass on the wisdom:thumbsup:

To get more specfic as to essentials for the kitchen, here is my list. I know others will add to it.

Pots and Pans:

broiler pan
cast-iron frying pan
double boiler
Dutch oven
frying pans, 8" and 10" and more than one of each
large saute pan
roastingpan
saucepans ( 1qt,. 2 qt., and 3 qt.)
Stockpot (8 quart)
Round pizza pan
Griddle
Wok

Baking Equipment:

angel food cake pan
baking sheet with rim
cooling racks (2)
flat baking sheets (2)
flour sifter
glass pie plates (2)
loaf pan (2)
muffin tins ( for 6 muffins and for 12 muffins)
oven baking stone
pastry blender
pastry brush
pastry scraper
rolling pin
round cake pans (2)
springform pan (9")
square baking pan
Silpads (rubber baking mats)

Electronic appliances

coffee maker
coffee grinder