"Entertaining The Louisville Way"

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
This is another great cook book that belonged to my mother. 'Entertaining The Louisville Way" was compiled by The Queen's Daughters of Louisville, Kentucky in 1969. The Queen's Daughters of Louisville were organized on Feb. 17, 1915. In the beginning most of their work was done with an emphasis on relief and welfare. Since 1924, their main efforts have been given to Our Lady's Home for Infants, a home for dependent babies started by the Queen's Daughters. There the babies are given loving care and observation preparatory to adoption. Others are boarded and cared for during family emergencies.

They also help at Boy's Haven in Louisville, make surgical dressings for indigent cancer patients in Kentucky, and have a committee that visits homes of seniors who are infirmed.

This cookbook was one of their fund raisers for the Lady's Home for Infants.

Louisville has always been known for the entertaining its residents . This book includes Menus and Recipes for indoor Formal Dinners, late-night Suppers after a winter sporting event, informal Patio Suppers, morning Coffees and Brunches, ladies Luncheons, and traditional Holiday Parties.

"The variety of their recipes from Appetizers to Desserts, is designed to furnish inspiration to everyone; the gifted gourmets, the busy housewives, the budget minded, and the waistline watchers."

As the Ladies state in the book, "In compelling man to eat to live, the Lord gave appetite to invite him and pleasure to reward him."

One of the menus was for the Derby Breakfast. Since I have commented on Derby Foods, thought I post their breakfast.

They recommend Mint Juleps. Kentucky Country Ham, Corn and Chive Spoonbread, Beaten Biscuits, Bibb Lettuce with Poppy Seed Dressing, Cheese Tassies and Hot Coffee.

This is another fine cookbook with so many delicious recipes.

Last edited:
Back