Enrolled Missouri Militia roster

Doing some family research for my girlfriend's family and found a bunch in NW Missouri, so right now I'm looking for rosters for EMM and other militia organizations from Clinton, Gentry, & Platte Counties and haven't had much luck in finding any. Anyone on here have access to them?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
The Enrolled Militia were a pretty loose bunch who had to supply their own equipment and were only called on in time of emergency to protect places in the vicinity of their residences or to chase off nearby guerilla forces. They weren't organized with the consent of the federal authorities and thus weren't eligible later for pensions (with a few exceptions). Many likely saw no actual service.

The cemetery where I volunteer has two EMM veterans and in my research I, too, discovered that rosters just didn't seem to exist. I think given that they weren't the 'official' state militia and were only sometimes called on for duty record keeping wasn't a priority and likely was simply not maintained.

Here's a document about researching Missouri militia members that lists a number of possible places to look and discusses the different types of Missouri militia:

http://molib.org/2014archive/conference/2011/presentations/civilwarmilitiaunits.doc

Good luck !

Last edited:

archieclement

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Doing some family research for my girlfriend's family and found a bunch in NW Missouri, so right now I'm looking for rosters for EMM and other militia organizations from Clinton, Gentry, & Platte Counties and haven't had much luck in finding any. Anyone on here have access to them?
This will give companies county of origin and company officers for EMM Regt, not complete rosters though

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Missouri_in_the_Civil_War#Missouri_Military_Units

David,

Thanks, I'm an Ole Miss grad and lived in the Grenada area for several years. Living in NC now.

I did manage to find one of my girlfriend's Great Grandfather's one of his brothers listed in the 31st Missouri Enrolled Militia.