Restricted Enlisting your assistance

Eric Wittenberg

1st Lieutenant
Keeper of the Scales
Friends, this post is with the express permission of El Jefe, Mr. Kendra.

I'm writing to muster your support for a worthwhile effort.

Please read the linked newspaper article.

The statue of Maj. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart in Richmond--owned by the city--has been removed as a consequence of the BLM protests. It's understandable, and is appropriate. It's a symbol of pain and suffering for too many of our fellow Americans, so the time had come to remove it. It's important to note that the Stuart family itself does not think it's appropriate for that monument to remain where it was, and the family does not want to see it be returned to its original site.

We now face the question of what will now happen to that monument. Rather than have it waste away in a warehouse somewhere, Dr. J.E.B. Stuart, V--the general's great-great grandson, who is a physician in the Richmond area--has suggested that it be moved to the Jeb Stuart Birthplace, in Ararat, Henry County, Virginia. The Birthplace is owned by a private foundation, and it would be the proper steward for it.

This will take time. In an email this evening, Dr. Stuart told Sean Heuvel and me that the first step is to write to the Mayor of Richmond to request that the monument be donated to the Foundation so that it can be put back up once funds are raised to do so. Here's the address:

The Hon. Levar M. Stoney
Mayor, City of Richmond
900 E. Broad Street, Suite 201
Richmond, VA 23219

Dr. Stuart also said, "Secondly, I would ask those to support the J.E.B. Stuart Birthplace Preservation Trust, either becoming a member or donating to the Trust."

Finally, as he correctly said, "Networking is key. Let's spread the word!"

If any of you are so inclined, please write to Mayor Stoney and ask him to support the donation of the monument to the Birthplace Trust. Thank you for your time and consideration.

The photo of the monument is courtesy of Mike Kendra.

1594688958580.png

Back