Discussion Enlisted union soldier serving in more than one corp's question

jeff karr

Cadet
I am researching a union soldier from the 1st division in the Army of the Potomac. Would the union soldier serve in more than one corps during the civil war and was that common practice?

Thanks.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

rpkennedy

Major
I am researching a union soldier from the 1st division in the Army of the Potomac. Would the union soldier serve in more than one corps during the civil war and was that common practice?

Thanks.
It's possible since units would be transferred around when necessary. An example of this is in the late winter-early spring of 1864 when the First and Third Corps were dissolved and their units were sent to the Fifth and Second Corps, respectively. Another example was when the Eleventh and Twelfth Corps were consolidated and redesignates the Twentieth Corps.

Ryan

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
Also since a federal soldier in a volunteer unit served for 3 years or less. (3 year enlistments was the most common, but plenty of 1 and 2 year enlistments was also used) he could reenlist in another unit or even another arm of the military.

Last edited:

CPT JB

Private
I know in the Trans-Mississippi units in researching the 1st Nebraska Calvary it was common to have served in different corps. The Regiment was in St. Louis and then sent to Arkansas as Calvary, and then later was returned to Nebraska territory, and were assigned to different corps. In researching the 3rd Iowa Calvary and several Illinois Calvary Regiment, they were in Trans- Mississippi and then were moved east.

Jimbo_Poke

Private
The other thing that could and did happen was an enlisted man join another regiment to become officers like Albert H Packard who left the 19th Maine to help raise and enlist men for the 31st Maine in which he became a Captain.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!