Enlisted Men and Officers at the Dedication of the Soldiers' National Cemetery

I'd be interested in any information about enlisted men and officers (including veterans who had already served, currently serving soldiers, and men who entered the service later in the war) known to have been present at the dedication of the Soldiers' National Cemetery in Gettysburg on November 19, 1863.

Marine Band, Second United States Artillery, United States Regular Cavalry, from Carlisle Barracks. Major General Darius Couch and Staff, Major General Julius Stahel and Staff, Twentieth Pennsylvania Cavalry, one hundred and twenty in number, under command of Colonel B. Stickney. Colonel Charles Prevost, of Philadelphia, and Staff. Battery A, Fifth United States Regulars. Major General Robert Schenck and Staff. Band of Fifth New York Heavy Artillery. Fifth New York Heavy Artillery Regiment, under command of Colonel Edward Murray ... Brigadier General Horatio Wright, Major General Abner Doubleday, and Brigadier General John Gibbon attended by their staffs (centennial November 19, 1963, Gettysburg Times article).

1614911133585.png

Stephen Minot Weld, who had served as an aide to Reynolds at Gettysburg, was appointed lieutenant colonel of the 56th Massachusetts in March 1864, and wrote at that time: "The band was so well known in the army that it was selected to go to Gettysburg when Lincoln made his celebrated speech and dedicated the monument there." https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=loc.ark:/13960/t80k2w85c&view=image&seq=355

I am also trying to recall the identity of a Union soldier who was still recovering in an area or regional hospital and wrote of being transported to the dedication ceremony.

Ok, the memory still works - just found the reference.

Letter dated November 20, 1863, author unfortunately not identified but possibly John H. R. Brown of the 24th Michigan. On July 7, 1863 he wrote from near Gettysburg from the "camps or hospital of the 1st A.C. [army corps], 1st Div." On June 14 he had been sick at the division hospital, so that may explain why he does not show up on the Gettysburg casualty lists. He writes his first name as "Johny," and previously mentioned on March 31 that "Jesse [a brother?] has been very sick, Barns [Barnes?] went over to his regiment yesterday ... 94th New York. This letter was found in the Brown family file, in the genealogical room, Jacksonville Main Public Library, Florida, which I copied about 18 years ago.

------------

[Ward?] No. 8 or 9, York, Pennsylvania, U.S. General Hospital, November 20th, 1863.

Beloved Wife and Children,

As I am in a pretty good state of health considering my disease, and somewhat lonesome, I thought I would drop you a line this evening, giving you the events of the few past days. We were informed Monday last that there would be transportation for 60 delegates to go to Gettysburg to be present at the Dedication of the National Cemetery. We went over the road free of charge. We started at two o'clock in the morning of Thursday last, we did not get to Gettysburg until eleven o'clock a.m., we then formed in line and marched to the cemetery, there was perhaps [?]0,000 [10,000?] people present. The vast assemblage was addressed by the Hon. Edward Everett, and Abraham Lincoln. We then put off around the old battlefield, and see all that could be seen after so short a time line [?] the most of the relics are picked up along ago. We left Gettysburg at eleven o'clock last evening and arrived here at 6 this morning. Well I can not think of much to write [describes an enclosed $20 bill]. Well I hope to hear from you soon, have rec'd no letter from you since Sund. or Mond. This from your most affectionate husband Johny. Give my love to father, mothers, sisters and brothers. May this go safe and benefit you accordingly. Yours forever, Johny

Ok, the memory still works - just found the reference.

Letter dated November 20, 1863, author unfortunately not identified but possibly John H. R. Brown of the 24th Michigan. On July 7, 1863 he wrote from near Gettysburg from the "camps or hospital of the 1st A.C. [army corps], 1st Div." On June 14 he had been sick at the division hospital, so that may explain why he does not show up on the Gettysburg casualty lists. He writes his first name as "Johny," and previously mentioned on March 31 that "Jesse [a brother?] has been very sick, Barns [Barnes?] went over to his regiment yesterday ... 94th New York. This letter was found in the Brown family file, in the genealogical room, Jacksonville Main Public Library, Florida, which I copied about 18 years ago.

------------

[Ward?] No. 8 or 9, York, Pennsylvania, U.S. General Hospital, November 20th, 1863.

Beloved Wife and Children,

As I am in a pretty good state of health considering my disease, and somewhat lonesome, I thought I would drop you a line this evening, giving you the events of the few past days. We were informed Monday last that there would be transportation for 60 delegates to go to Gettysburg to be present at the Dedication of the National Cemetery. We went over the road free of charge. We started at two o'clock in the morning of Thursday last, we did not get to Gettysburg until eleven o'clock a.m., we then formed in line and marched to the cemetery, there was perhaps [?]0,000 [10,000?] people present. The vast assemblage was addressed by the Hon. Edward Everett, and Abraham Lincoln. We then put off around the old battlefield, and see all that could be seen after so short a time line [?] the most of the relics are picked up along ago. We left Gettysburg at eleven o'clock last evening and arrived here at 6 this morning. Well I can not think of much to write [describes an enclosed $20 bill]. Well I hope to hear from you soon, have rec'd no letter from you since Sund. or Mond. This from your most affectionate husband Johny. Give my love to father, mothers, sisters and brothers. May this go safe and benefit you accordingly. Yours forever, Johny

The only "Barnes" in the 94th New York was Private Wallace Barnes, age 18, but he didn't enlist until August 1864. There were two "Burns" who could potentially fit the bill: Private James Burns and Private William Burns. In addition, there were several men with names that could be shorted to "Barns": Barnard, Barner, Barnhart, and Barnum.

Ryan

The only "Barnes" in the 94th New York was Private Wallace Barnes, age 18, but he didn't enlist until August 1864. There were two "Burns" who could potentially fit the bill: Private James Burns and Private William Burns. In addition, there were several men with names that could be shorted to "Barns": Barnard, Barner, Barnhart, and Barnum.

Ryan
What about a Jesse (Brown) in the 94th? I was thinking "Barns" may have been in the 24th Michigan.

What about a Jesse (Brown) in the 94th? I was thinking "Barns" may have been in the 24th Michigan.
Bingo. Jesse [S.] Brain (also recorded as "Brown"), age 22, enlisted on November 22, 1861 in Rochester, New York for three years in the 105th New York. Promoted to corporal on March 23, 1862 and returned to ranks at an unknown date. Transferred to Company G, 94th New York on March 10, 1863 (when the 105th was folded into the 94th). Detached to the 5th Maine Battery in September 1863 until he was discharged from the service on December 27, 1864.

Ryan

Last edited:
Thank you both for your contributions. Also here is an article on an Irish-American soldier, Michael F. Gaffney, who mustered in as a private in Company F, 4th Pennsylvania Reserves on June 11, 1861, and was present at the dedication of the Soldiers' National Cemetery on November 19, 1863. He was promoted to Corporal on April 30, 1864, and mustered out with his company on June 17, 1864.

Back