Uniforms Enlisted Frock Coat

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Excuse me everyone, but, at the moment, I am trying to get a pattern for an Enlisted Frock Coat for my portrayal as a Private of the 1st SC Rifles. I'm trying to make the simple, grey coat along with the green trim, piping and collars. But first I need the patterns for an enlisted frock coat. I've seen several for sale on Amazon and Etsy, but I was wondering if anyone would so kind as to send me some pictures of the patterns. I'm rather short on funds and I'm, unfortunately, looking for charity.

pi710__69884.1323284418.800.800.gif

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Thank you for posting this. I do not have any patterns for Confederate frock coats. Hopefully someone may consider helping you.

There is no really good commercial pattern available for an enlisted frock coat, or any Civil War era frock for that matter. You would be much better served by getting in touch with a competent historical tailor and seeing if they can accommodate you. You will need an advanced tailoring skill set to put one together though. Frock coats are the most difficult uniform item to replicate correctly, which is why properly done reproductions are so expensive.

Frederick14Va

Sergeant Major
Curious if you are seeking to do a singular person portrayal of that unit, or are you part of a reenactment unit of that unit?

I will second @Grayrock Volunteer motion regarding the frock coat. They are not an easy item to do correctly. Even one with modern sewing skills frequently find it quite the challenge since these are not assembled the same way a modern garment is. Most of the commercially available patterns floating out there arent much more than a costume pattern. It will not have the correct look nor fit that they are suppose to be. Orr's Rifles had a rather unique uniform trimmed frock that was locally tailor made. The expense of the correct woolen fabric alone to make one would make many cringe. Even if you had a decent generic frock pattern it likely would still require lots of alterations to reconfigure it to what Orrs Rifles had. Good luck in your quest.