English involvement in the American Civil War

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Hi everyone,
My great grandfather Edward Edwards was in born in 1841 in north wales UK he was in the Royal navy which I believe was out in America during the civil war, he deserted and went to fight for the confederate army as the pay was better he then as the story goes which has passed down through my family over the years deserted again and went to fight for the union. When the war finished queen victoria granted an amnesty to all British deserters and because he was on the winning side received a pension from the American government of $70 per quarter And returned to the UK And enlisted in the Royal Navy Reserve. He continued to receive this pension until his death in 1914 when his widow Emma Rebecca Edwards received a widows pension until her death in 1932. I do have his pension details number etc and have tried to find information about what his involvement was in the civil war but have had no success. I would be very interested if anyone could suggest how I could find any information. I do have a small booklet London branch of American civil war veterans dated 1924 it does not mention my great grandfather as her passed away in 1914 but mention his wife Mrs Edwards on the back page. I look forward to any reaction to this story. Ted Edwards
1573987658896.jpeg

1573987856903.jpeg

61174633-7011-4EE9-A3A2-13AC5543B45F.jpeg

5BBA0D5C-D0AA-4644-8B54-B6B438990BB3.jpeg

9BD952AC-E5EE-4E61-BCA4-BD85CEAAF794.jpeg

367FF20B-528A-4324-82CC-A066D0BAAA42.jpeg

ucvrelics

Major
Forum Host
Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. Be sure to stop by the Weapons & Ammo, Uniforms & Relics and Vicksburg forums.

John Winn

Captain
I think the answers to your questions are likely in his service and pension records at the National Archives. You can order them directly but it takes forever and the Archives can be difficult to work with. Luckily, we have a member who has a business of retrieving records form the Archives: @RhinehartRoots

I'd recommend definitely getting the pension files as those often contain a lot of information about the veteran (e.g. marriages, children, professions, places lived after the war, details of medical conditions). In your case you'll need confederate and union service records and the pension file. It's worth the money.

WJC

Major General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Welcome! That's an interesting war record: thanks for sharing. I can only second the suggestion of @John Winn and wish you success. Keep us posted! Meanwhile, join in our other discussions: new perspectives are always appreciated! Enjoy!

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
Regards
David

I think the answers to your questions are likely in his service and pension records at the National Archives. You can order them directly but it takes forever and the Archives can be difficult to work with. Luckily, we have a member who has a business of retrieving records form the Archives: @RhinehartRoots

I'd recommend definitely getting the pension files as those often contain a lot of information about the veteran (e.g. marriages, children, professions, places lived after the war, details of medical conditions). In your case you'll need confederate and union service records and the pension file. It's worth the money.
Thank you very much

Thanks for the warm welcome I look forward to getting involved. By the way the picture is of Edward Edwards my great grandfather in his Royal Navy Reserve sailors uniform taken in about 1872.
Ted in the UK

RhinehartRoots

Private
Official Vendor
Welcome! My name has come up on here as someone who may be able to help you get Civil War information from the National Archives. If you're interested, I can get his files for you next time I'm there. Let me know!

--Brian