Enfield Pattern 1853 “Volunteer Rifles” Wilkinson

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Urrikane

Private
Hello!
Here I am again with another piece of my collection: Enfield Pattern 1853 “Volunteer Rifles” 3 groove cal .577, but how can I know if it is a rifle imported by the Confederacy during the American Civil War?
DSC_0786.JPG

under the barrel there is a J.S. mark
20161021_123433.jpg

Attachments

ucvrelics

Major
Forum Host
Nice One, Have you had the barrel off the stock? If so was there any makers markings in the barrel channel?

Lanyard Puller

Sergeant
The ramrod was made by T. & C. Gilbert, Birmingham small parts makers, and IF original to the gun would date it earlier than 1863. The Gilberts went out of business in 1862.

By the way it is a Pattern 1853 Volunteer Rifle Musket {39" barrel}, 3 barrel bands. Rifles had 2 bands and 33" barrels.

From your photos, there are no discernible Confederate marks, but it's in very nice condition.

Urrikane

Private
Thanks for everything you are fantastic!

If I do not mind I will publish all the weapons of my collection, not all of them, being a civil war forum I do not believe you are interested in the French and Italian weapons of the 1800s

tbuckley

Sergeant

If I do not mind I will publish all the weapons of my collection, not all of them, being a civil war forum I do not believe you are interested in the French and Italian weapons of the 1800s
Please post them. Some of us here are very interested in European weapons of the 1800s. :smile:

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator

I'll second that some of us are quite interested in French & other European arms.

gary

Captain
Remember, captured arms were used by both sides and both sides bought arms just to deny them to the other side (geez, does that even make sense). So, even if it came over on a Yankee ship, it could still be carried by a Confederate soldier. Similarly, Grant's army at Vicksburg adopted a lot of Enfields after Vicksburg's fall.

Lanyard Puller

Sergeant
[QUOTE="johan_steele, As a note I'm unaware of any "Volunteer" rifles or rifle muskets imported during the ACW by either side.

More than a few commercial, volunteer rifles were imported into the CS. Nearly all of them being purchased off of the retail market by Grazebrook, whose buyers were scouring the shops to fill his contracts with Huse. This topic is covered in The English Connection.

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Hello!
Here I am again with another piece of my collection: Enfield Pattern 1853 “Volunteer Rifles” 3 groove cal .577, but how can I know if it is a rifle imported by the Confederacy during the American Civil War?
View attachment 209325

under the barrel there is a J.S. mark
View attachment 209332
Wow. I dont know much about firearms, but that is one beautiful gun! Congratulations.