Enfield Cartridge Box

I had never pondered this question before, so I conducted a cursory search on the Magic Google Machine, and found no surviving examples of such. This is not to say it didn't happen, but that it was probably very rare. Of course, as I type these words another CWT Family Member is probably getting ready to post a photo proving me wrong!

Hope this helps!

I don't think I've ever seen a photo of Federal troops wearing English accoutrements, not to say it never happened but I think it was pretty rare. The Enfield cartridge boxes came as an accoutrement set. Honestly I think they are a little over-represented in the hobby even on the Confederate side although I have seen photos of CS troops wearing them. Unless you have evidence that the unit you are portraying was issued them I'd choose a regular US issue box.

Thats a great question of which I don't have an answer so paging @Package4

I have seen pics of US & CS troops with British accoutrements but I don’t believe I’ve ever seen them worn correctly as per British Army regulations.

I have seen US troops fully kitted out the same as French troops but by far the most common has been a combo of US & foreign accoutrements at the same time.

As to the box plate I have seen pics of them with a US box plate but have not seen them with an eagle breast plate.

The use of Brit style bayonet scabbards is grossly over used by re-enactors. Those were only issued as part of the Brit accoutrement system. I’m unaware of any purchase of just bayonet scabbards by either side.

When Federal troops were issued the Enfield Cartridge Box did they put the Cartridge Box Plate in or just leave it as issued?
Thanks;
Christian
Extant photographs and surviving boxes indicate that the plates were not applied, but individual soldiers would do what they would, so it wouldn't be out of the question. The state of Massachusetts as late as August of 1862, had ordered as many as 3,000 sets of English accouterments complete with snake belt, ball bag and bayonet frog. These were initially stored in the US armory at Watertown and needed some type of alteration before issue. What is known about these issues, is that the shoulder belt is 1" narrower than the English regulation of 2.5". There is evidence to suggest that other states had ordered English accouterments as well early in the war. Paul Johnson in his excellent tome Civil War Cartridge Boxes of the Union Infantryman, covers this quite well on pages 170 and 171.

Since we are on the topic of British Issued equipment, I have a bayonet question... A number of sutlers market a bayonet 'frog' to allow the Enfield bayonet scabbard to be hung like a Springfield. Is this accurate, or a modern farbism?

Since we are on the topic of British Issued equipment, I have a bayonet question... A number of sutlers market a bayonet 'frog' to allow the Enfield bayonet scabbard to be hung like a Springfield. Is this accurate, or a modern farbism?
I can't say that I have seen such an animal...….

I don't think I've ever seen a photo of Federal troops wearing English accoutrements, not to say it never happened but I think it was pretty rare.
f_the_6th_Regiment_Massachusetts_Volunteer_Militia.jpg

Thanks, I hadn't seen that one

This is covered in Suppliers to the Confederacy in detail. Some British accourtrement sets were used by Union state troops early in the war, before enough US sets could be produced. I believe these were State of Massachusetts troops in this image from 1861. Overwhelmingly though, Union troops are photographed with US accoutrements. On the CS side, British accoutrements are much more commonly encountered and if period photos are to be trusted most widely used after domestically produced CS accoutrements and captured US accoutrements.

This is covered in Suppliers to the Confederacy in detail. Some British accourtrement sets were used by Union state troops early in the war, before enough US sets could be produced. I believe these were State of Massachusetts troops in this image from 1861. Overwhelmingly though, Union troops are photographed with US accoutrements. On the CS side, British accoutrements are much more commonly encountered and if period photos are to be trusted most widely used after domestically produced CS accoutrements and captured US accoutrements.
Thanks Mr. Barry, I knew there was a some use out ther but not all that common on the Federal side. My point I was trying to make to the OP I assume he's asking this question in the Reenactors forum because he's either got an Enfield box or looking to get one and unless he has evidence his unit was issued them I'd recommend sticking with regular US issue box.

On a related subject as Johan mentioned the English bayonet scabbard is so overdone, seems like almost every CS reenactor has one. All our young guys have them, usually picked up used with their musket. When they come to me and ask for suggestions to inexpensive ways they can improve their impressions the first two things I say is invest in a good hat and change their scabbards.

Thanks guys, had a chance to pick up a 1853 3band, and a 1862 Richmond. the 3 band was junk so went with the Richmond. I am planning to modify the Richmond to look like the 1855 1st pattern. I might use it for reenacting at some point, as I live in TX it would be Trans-Miss stuff.

Thanks guys, had a chance to pick up a 1853 3band, and a 1862 Richmond. the 3 band was junk so went with the Richmond. I am planning to modify the Richmond to look like the 1855 1st pattern. I might use it for reenacting at some point, as I live in TX it would be Trans-Miss stuff.
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project, let us know how it comes out.

Back