Enfield 1860 Tower 2 Band

GiveemHell54

Cadet
Good morning Ladies & Gents! New member here. This past weekend a client/friend of mine gave me 2 items he purchased many years ago, an 1860 Enfield 2 Band Rifle & an 1860 Union Light Calvary Sword. I have spent the last 4 evenings researching both items and would sure appreciate some help regarding the Enfield. I have seen many Tower Stamps from 1861-1864, however have yet to find any Rifles similar to the Tower 1860 24 24 that I have been gifted. Rather than bore you with words, I have noticed that Photos seem to be the best avenue in seeking your input. I do not know if this Rifle has been pieced together from different Rifles, or if it is in fact genuine. Overall it appears to be in good shape with the only item missing that I can tell is the Firing Cap nipple. My client does believe he has the Bayonet that goes with it as well, and is actively looking for it.

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1860 2 Band Enfield Rifle.jpg
    1860 2 Band Enfield Rifle.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Enfield Stamps.jpg
    Enfield Stamps.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 547
  • 1860 Tower Stamp.jpg
    1860 Tower Stamp.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 443
  • Crown Stamp.jpg
    Crown Stamp.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 412
  • Stamp 1.jpg
    Stamp 1.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 427
  • stamp 2.jpg
    stamp 2.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 412
  • Site 1.jpg
    Site 1.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 435
  • Site 2.jpg
    Site 2.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 339
  • End of Rifle.jpg
    End of Rifle.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 425
  • Side .jpg
    Side .jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 400
  • Underside.jpg
    Underside.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 370
  • Underside 2.jpg
    Underside 2.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 349
  • Band near Rear site.jpg
    Band near Rear site.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 344
  • Shoulder Butt.jpg
    Shoulder Butt.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 324
  • Plug.jpg
    Plug.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 343
  • Bayonet Holder.jpg
    Bayonet Holder.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 358
Welcome to the group from middle Alabama, it appears that you have a P-56 2 band Sargeant's model Enfield for export, in .58 caliber and it looks like a fine one especially with the tampion and original sword bayonet.

Last edited:
Hello @GiveemHell54 and Welcome to CivilWarTalk - the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion. Happy to have you aboard.

I cant provide any relevant information about your Enfield, except to say that it looks to be iron mounted - and in nice condition as @redbob pointed out above.

Like @captaindrew said, I'm sure some more of the firearms experts will be along directly....let me help you by paging a few of the ones who may be able to help @Craig L Barry @Lanyard Puller @Jobe Holiday @johan_steele @ucvrelics.com

Welcome, and thanks for the great photos.

It appears from a photo that a Pattern 1856 bayonet lug was originally on the rifle, as there are shadows of it in front of the Ptn 1860 lug which was poorly soldered. The Ptn '56 had a guide key in front of the stud. The rear sight is correct for this type, and the brass "snap cap" chain is also period.

All or the Confederate numbered Ptn 56 and 60 iron mounted rifles had the numbers stamped into the belly of the stock. Those not numbered, or commercial/volunteer purchases by speculators would still have had CS inspection marks.

With no numbers, and no CS inspection or import marks, I'd surmise you have a very nice English rifle.
The "crown/B/number" marks are Birmingham inspection marks for British Government contract guns, and are 100% legit. Commercial guns might have a letter {such as "P" or T&C G"} to indicate the supplier of that particular part.

Welcome, and thanks for the great photos.

It appears from a photo that a Pattern 1856 bayonet lug was originally on the rifle, as there are shadows of it in front of the Ptn 1860 lug which was poorly soldered. The Ptn '56 had a guide key in front of the stud. The rear sight is correct for this type, and the brass "snap cap" chain is also period.

All or the Confederate numbered Ptn 56 and 60 iron mounted rifles had the numbers stamped into the belly of the stock. Those not numbered, or commercial/volunteer purchases by speculators would still have had CS inspection marks.

With no numbers, and no CS inspection or import marks, I'd surmise you have a very nice English rifle.
The "crown/B/number" marks are Birmingham inspection marks for British Government contract guns, and are 100% legit. Commercial guns might have a letter {such as "P" or T&C G"} to indicate the supplier of that particular part.
@Lanyard Puller Great information, thank you very much for your insight. Any thoughts on if the Rifle would have been issued in to Service with the British Army?

@Lanyard Puller Great information, thank you very much for your insight. Any thoughts on if the Rifle would have been issued in to Service with the British Army?
If they were built for British Crown service they were marked under the lockplate crown with VR (Victoria Regina) signifying that it had been inspected and accepted for Crown service.

Last edited:
If they were built for British Crown service they were marked under the lockplate crown with VR (Victoria Regina) signifying that it had been inspected and accepted for Crown service.
Welcome from wet, humid and soggy Mobile, AL! I agree that most were stamped VR if they were issued British, but could this perhaps have been a contract for India or Africa, as an example, that simply never got exported, hence no foreign markings? Could she have sat in the British supply chain somewhere? Ralph Heinz has noted that 24’s were manufactured as Spanish contracts, but I am unfamiliar with what markings a Spanish would have.

I’m still of the mind that it could also have been a Union import. Many Union imports had 24 markings, though not all, and you would not have any of the Confederate marks noted in other responses, of course. Lanyard Puller has a beauty 3 band (I believe) with both 25 and 24 marked on the barrel, a SC Enfield, that you should see, just as a side note.

Have you removed the lockplate to review any stamps inside? The inspectors mark on the barrel band is a ringer and almost certainly from the the Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield. The script "B" beneath the crown on the barrel is a provisional barrel proof from Birmingham. From personal experience, you might want to get yourself a bottle of Kramers Best and give that stock a good rubbing. You may uncover a roundel or marking that you cant see with the naked eye - I've found a couple that way on a couple of my collectibles.

Last edited:
Welcome from wet, humid and soggy Mobile, AL! I agree that most were stamped VR if they were issued British, but could this perhaps have been a contract for India or Africa, as an example, that simply never got exported, hence no foreign markings? Could she have sat in the British supply chain somewhere? Ralph Heinz has noted that 24’s were manufactured as Spanish contracts, but I am unfamiliar with what markings a Spanish would have.

I’m still of the mind that it could also have been a Union import. Many Union imports had 24 markings, though not all, and you would not have any of the Confederate marks noted in other responses, of course. Lanyard Puller has a beauty 3 band (I believe) with both 25 and 24 marked on the barrel, a SC Enfield, that you should see, just as a side note.

Have you removed the lockplate to review any stamps inside? The inspectors mark on the barrel band is a ringer and almost certainly from the the Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield. The script "B" beneath the crown on the barrel is a provisional barrel proof from Birmingham. From personal experience, you might want to get yourself a bottle of Kramers Best and give that stock a good rubbing. You may uncover a roundel or marking that you cant see with the naked eye - I've found a couple that way on a couple of my collectibles.
Come North about 200 miles and you can have all of the 95 degree, sun and 90% humidity that you can stand.

Back