Enfield 1860 Tower 2 Band

Welcome from wet, humid and soggy Mobile, AL! I agree that most were stamped VR if they were issued British, but could this perhaps have been a contract for India or Africa, as an example, that simply never got exported, hence no foreign markings? Could she have sat in the British supply chain somewhere? Ralph Heinz has noted that 24’s were manufactured as Spanish contracts, but I am unfamiliar with what markings a Spanish would have.

I’m still of the mind that it could also have been a Union import. Many Union imports had 24 markings, though not all, and you would not have any of the Confederate marks noted in other responses, of course. Lanyard Puller has a beauty 3 band (I believe) with both 25 and 24 marked on the barrel, a SC Enfield, that you should see, just as a side note.

Have you removed the lockplate to review any stamps inside? The inspectors mark on the barrel band is a ringer and almost certainly from the the Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield. The script "B" beneath the crown on the barrel is a provisional barrel proof from Birmingham. From personal experience, you might want to get yourself a bottle of Kramers Best and give that stock a good rubbing. You may uncover a roundel or marking that you cant see with the naked eye - I've found a couple that way on a couple of my collectibles.
@vmicraig - I will go ahead and purchase some Kramers Best and rub down the Stock, I do like that idea and feel comfortable that I can safely accomplish this. In regards to taking the lockplate off, I will hold off on doing that myself.

I am a little puzzled by the markings on the rear barrel band, which look a bit like British Govt inspection marks...but the corresponding hieroglyphics (broad arrow, WD, etc) are absent from the rest of the rifle. Maybe it was a replacement part?

Back