How Soon After Lee Surrendered Would Union Officers and Soldiers Have Returned Home?

Does anyone know how soon after Lee surrendered Union officers and soldiers would have returned home.......
When you say “Union” remember there were both state regiments and regulars. Some of the regulars had time left to serve.

Example: In early 1865, Luther “Yellowstone” Kelly tried to join the 4th New York Cavalry at 15 and was rejected for age. Then he lied and joined the 10th United States Infantry, not really understanding the difference between volunteers and regulars. The war soon ended and Kelly had to serve some garrison duty in the east for a bit and then went to the frontier. He served in Dakota Territory until 1868.

Vote Here:
When you say “Union” remember there were both state regiments and regulars. Some of the regulars had time left to serve.

Example: In early 1865, Luther “Yellowstone” Kelly tried to join the 4th New York Cavalry at 15 and was rejected for age. Then he lied and joined the 10th United States Infantry, not really understanding the difference between volunteers and regulars. The war soon ended and Kelly had to serve some garrison duty in the east for a bit and then went to the frontier. He served in Dakota Territory until 1868.
Thanks. I'll remember that.

Vote Here:
I just wanted to thank everyone who chimed in to help me with not only this question but others I've had while writing my novel. I finally finished it and got all the historical details worked out as best I could. My novel, Beyond These War-Torn Lands releases in August of this year. If you enjoy inspirational historical fiction, I hope you'll watch for it! Thanks again for all the great help!

Vote Here:
I just wanted to thank everyone who chimed in to help me with not only this question but others I've had while writing my novel. I finally finished it and got all the historical details worked out as best I could. My novel, Beyond These War-Torn Lands releases in August of this year. If you enjoy inspirational historical fiction, I hope you'll watch for it! Thanks again for all the great help!
Thanks -- let us know when it comes out!

Roy B.

Vote Here:
You may want to read the rules and requests thread at the top of this page, here;
It may help your cause. Thanks, and also welcome.
LUbliner.

Vote Here:
Back