Emancipation was Who was the most ardent of the Fire-eaters?

dvrmte

Major
Ahhh typical Dvrmte tatics, here come the personal snipes....

Modern slavery? Nope never said that, but you certainly go to extreams to find any way to excuse the ownership of human beings in the antebellum South.In how many different posts have you stressed the point that blacks were better off as slaves? Or that only a few chosen few should rule while the rest of the common folk should follow their leadership? Too bad that we live in a age where such views can be challanged...Must have been heck for slave owners back then as well, knowing that they couldn't stifle the voices of free Americans expressing their opinion on slavery...

You didn't specify, did you? You left it open and your motive was derisive, yet you're calling me out for a personal snipe.

I'll do this one more time, even though I know you follow my posts and have read it before. IMO, neither the slaves or the South in general were ready for immediate emancipation in 1865, or for granting the males suffrage a little later, it was a terrible idea for all. Immediate anything, is usually a bad idea. Social changes must be gradual or there will be chaos and there was. The destitution of four million people occurred practically overnight.

Something to think about: when the British came upon the starving Jews in the various camps in Germany, they made some terrible mistakes, they saw people in the last stages of starvation. An average person reasoning with their emotions would probably give them food, and that's what the British did in the beginning, and it killed many. They eventually figured it out and had to slowly build up their systems so they could digest regular food, they found that allowing them to suck on sugar cubes helped. The brutality inherent to emotional reasoning resulted in many Jewish deaths because their systems were too weak to digest regular military rations.

Edited by Chellers, Moderator. Let's hear a realistic plan from you for peacefully ending slavery without chaos, strife or four million people being left destitute.

Back