1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Elon Farnsworth: What Might Have Been

Discussion in '"What if..." Discussions' started by Bee, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

More of a retrospective and lament at his loss than a "what if". A nice overview:

Elon Farnsworth: A “What If?” of Gettysburg
    Posted on July 4, 2017 by Daniel Davis
    1st-vermont-cavalry-monument.png

Elon Farnsworth was killed in the vicinity where the 1st Vermont Cavalry monument now stands.

154 years after the engagement ended, students and enthusiasts still debate the “what if?” questions related to the Battle of Gettysburg. What if Richard Ewell had captured Cemetery Hill on the first day? What if Meade had withdrawn from the field to the Pipe Creek line? What if the Confederates had captured Little Round Top on July 2? What if the Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble charge had been successful? The list seemingly goes on and on. For myself, the greatest “what if?” does not pertain to any one decision or event, but to an individual, Brig. Gen. Elon J. Farnsworth. https://emergingcivilwar.com/2017/07/04/elon-farnsworth-a-what-if-of-gettysburg/#more-166646

Wallyfish likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. infomanpa

infomanpa Sergeant

Ahh..so the "what if?" pertains to future events after the Battle of Gettysburg. I never thought of Farnsworth in a "what if?" context, since the cavalry actions at the end of the third day were insignificant as to the eventual result.

4. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

Exactly. I tried to avoid ending up in the "What if" alternate history category, but to no avail -- even with an opening statement explaining that this is not a "what if" alternate history thread.....I am glad that you found it, nonetheless.

infomanpa likes this.
  5. mofederal

mofederal Corporal

Farnsworth was an aggressive fighter. I've always liked him, and no one really states a clear case of what happened when he was killed the 3rd day. Kilpatrick was an idiot for sure, and he wasn't going to charge the Confederate lines. It is sad that he did not shame Kilpatrick into leading the charge.

6. infomanpa

infomanpa Sergeant

...and no Farnsworth monument at Gettysburg! Unbelievable. Well, at least someone named a restaurant for him....and great food, too.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)