TN Elmwood Cemetery, Memphis TN

No tour guide Steve, we called at the office and picked up a map for $ 5.00.
Also buried in Memphis, but not in Elmwood is Laura Bullion, the Thorny Rose.
Not truly Civil War, but interesting parallels with Kit Dalton.
Born in 1876, she lived a difficult early life. Among other things she worked as a prostitute in the Old West
She hung out with the Wild Bunch (they gave her the nickname) and finally settled down with Bill Fitzpatrick. He is the tall man seated between Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in their famous dress suit (formal) photo.
Like Dalton, she eventually gave up her wild ways, moved to Memphis and lived out her life quietly.
She made her living as a seamstress and drapery maker, dying of heart trouble in 1961.

IMG_6173.jpg

Here rest a few of the over 1,000 Confederate soldiers who are buried in Elmwood Cemetery. The Confederate Monument is in the right side of the photo.
Regards
David
1602978045076.png

All of these Confederate stones were marked and I did not see any unknown markers
1602978218301.png

Resting side by side, the Lopez's are in a beautiful section of the cemetery. If I am not mistaken, having the Southern Cross of Honor symbol on Mrs. Lopez's grave is unusal.
1602978815433.png

I had my 1st field trip with Caroline, my youngest granddaughter, to Elmwood Cemetery today. She is 11 and interested in visiting Shiloh and I am so pleased. Looks like I may have a new chauffeur in about 4 years!
We took many photos and I will share with those unlucky to not live near Memphis.
Regards
David
View attachment 378631
View attachment 378632

Phillip's Cottage, built in 1866, serves as the Visitor's Center. Unfortunately due to the Covid crisis it was closed today so Caroline and I had to tour without assistance. We will be back!
The bell located at the North end tolls for each funeral as it has for over 100 years.
View attachment 378634
You are a lucky man.

Perhaps the saddest marker we saw was this stone dedicated to the nameless 2,500 citizens of Memphis who were buried in trenches after perishing in one of the several out breaks of Yellow Fever. The 1870's were dangeorus times for all residents of the South, though outbreaks occured in other areas of the U.S., where mosquito infestations were common. Many of the cemeteries in North Mississippi are full of Yellow Fever vicitms.
Regards
David
1603062521001.png

Another view of the area where the burial trenches are located
1603062855223.png

Great pictures David, looks like you and your Granddaughter spent some quality time together.
We'll have to go back and spend a bit more time there.

Be sure and let me know when y'all get back in this part of the world! Love to visit with y'all and show you and Gill around.
Regards
David

Last edited:
When and if the Nathan Bedford Forrest monument ever returns in the public eye it should be placed at Elmwood Cemetery plain and simple alongside the remains of him and his wife. Unfortunately, Memphis/Shelby County still haven't found a solution with the Sons of Confederate Veterans over where to put it especially the former. Both sides should simply just move the monument to that place since Confederate soldiers are already buried there with their own statue and the first Confederate flag.

The cemetery has plenty of room to add the statue and the Forrest's.
Regards
David
Unfortunately, they still haven't even tried to do it. I remember Memphis' mayor talking about it in 2015 after what happened in Charleston and since its rather illegal removal in 2017, they still can't decide where it goes. I remember in one report that one city official from Memphis said it has to be displayed outside of Shelby County but he needs to consider Elmwood Cemetery as an option since Confederates are buried there complete with their own monument.

Back