Elliott's map of the Gettysburg Battlefield 1864

I hate to be a wet blanket....are those regimental/brigade hospitals...or corps?????

Likely regimental in the beginning. Some of them were in tents according to contemporary reports. Then it was all over the place. Wounded were brought at the closest hospital indiscriminately

Does the Elliott map show the burials of the confederates at the the split rock. I've always thought standing there that they may still be buried there.

So would you think that line of Confederate dead just west of the Mummasburg road, and directly above the word Union would be Iverson's men?

Rebels obviously took over that position later maybe some were buried in different graves. I didn't look at the key, those notches represent one body correct?

Rebels obviously took over that position later maybe some were buried in different graves. I didn't look at the key, those notches represent one body correct?
That is how I understand it....although trench burials would be the way to go on the Wednesday part of the field (July 1)...the putrifaction by July 4th and 5th.............YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is how I understand it....although trench burials would be the way to go on the Wednesday part of the field (July 1)...the putrifaction by July 4th and 5th.............YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the Confederate burials were trench burials. Most of the graves along the east side of the Emmitsburg Road were trenches and not individual graves.

Ryan

Back