Elizabeth Van Lew Visits Rochester, New York, 1876

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
So this is cool. Sorry for another family blurb. Back story, JPK's brother was Calvin Huson, both grggrandfather's brothers, prisoner in Richmond after Bull Run, Van Lew scooped him up when he was sick with typhoid. Did not know this next bit, found it yesterday, Van Lew met Catherine, Calvin's widow.

huson news3.JPG

huson news1.JPG

huson news2.JPG

It's a long story. At the time, 1861, Van Lew's name couldn't be connected to anything Northern, no one could get in touch with her about what she'd done for the family, heck, post war, she wasn't popular in Richmond, either. Her home was torn down not long after she died. It is pretty cool finding this stuff- the cousin who is directly related to Calvin hasn't seen this yet, going to be thrilled.

Elizabeth Van Lew is a special interest of mine(along with other Richmond Unionists). I am active as a volunteer with the Friends of Shockoe Hill Cemetery, and my recent research shows where Calvin Huson is buried in the Van Lew plot. If any of his descendants want to get together to provide a marker for him, that can be fairly easily arranged.

Elizabeth Van Lew is a special interest of mine(along with other Richmond Unionists). I am active as a volunteer with the Friends of Shockoe Hill Cemetery, and my recent research shows where Calvin Huson is buried in the Van Lew plot. If any of his descendants want to get together to provide a marker for him, that can be fairly easily arranged.

WHOA WHAT???? We've been looking for Calvin since the war ended. That schmoe Ely published his journal, insisting he had Calvin buried n Holywood, no one bothered to listen to Elizabeth's account- that she had him buried in the Van Lew plot after he died in her home. I mean, the family knew- then it all got lost in the next generation. Calvin's 2 brothers were lost in successive years- Shiloh then Gettysburg, shattered the family.

THANK YOU. He was my grgrgrandfather's brother. I'm in contact with Calvin's grgrgrandaughter although she's been out of touch recently. We'd love to have a marker for Calvin, good grief- this is incredible news! May I ask what the records look like, please? WAIT until I tell her! OH my goodness wait until I tell my mother!

Huson Calvin Jr.jpg

Here's photo of the man buried in the Van Lew plot at Shocktoe. Elizabeth talked the commandant at the prison ( Liggons ) into allowing her to take him home with her. She spotted him sick with Typhoid and just couldn't stand it. He had to sign an oath he would not escape. He was much, much better too after she got him to the mansion and nursed him for while- no idea what happened. She was so shocked, all of a sudden he seemed to relapse and died. Calvin was a kick- so funny, witty, a blast to be around. He was Seward's good buddy, law student then worked with him, - married aunt and niece. His mother was the same way, just a riot. Quite a loss. Captured a political prisoner in the shambles after Bull Run.

Last edited:
Wow,looks like a little bit of closure to some old family history.

Crazy. I'm a little in shock because we've kind of been at this so long. A relative of his who I won't name has always been wistful on not being able to view his grave. She's such a big peach, I can't wait to tell her. Of the 3 brothers who fell in the war, none have markers. I guess from the distance of 150 years it seems silly to consider it too important when the living require attention. His brothers are unmarked at Shiloh and Gettysburg although we have a letter written at Shiloh that brother was buried on the battlefield- guess things just became lost. He's probably with his regiment, just not identified. Gettysburg was such a shambles who can tell what happened between first and second burial. Having one of them laying under a marker seems so satisfying. Very grateful!

I'm pleased this is such a big breakthrough! I didn't know if his burial site was common knowledge or not. I can post an image of the compiled Cemetery record here, if you'd like, or send it by email.

Here's the detail from the compiled SHC records. Elizabeth, her parents and others are buried in an adjacent plot. I haven't found any evidence that his remains were disinterred and moved in later years.

Attachments

• Huson grave.jpg
    Huson grave.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 158
No, they were not- he's still there although I cannot imagine why. Calvin was a bit of big noise in Rochester, political family, had the connections and cash to bring him home. I know the war shattered the family- 2 more brothers are buried elsewhere too- Shiloh, and JPK at Gettysburg.

Newspaper article from 1861 by a reporter allowed into Liggon's prison described Calvin as ' fat and funny ', always treasure that.

Back