Eli Whitney .36 Cal Navy Pistol Sold for $400.00

War Horse

Captain
Member of the Year
Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
I’m watching an old episode of Pawn Stars. (Terribly bored at the moment). Rick just purchased an authentic Eli Whitney .36 Cal Navy Pistol for $400.00 dollars. His reasoning for his low price was that it was not a popular firearm during the Civil War. I’d agree with that. However, he also stated real Civil War buffs would not be interested in owning one.

This supprised me. Knowing JEB Sturat carried a Whitney along with a LeMat over under would make this a very desirable item to add to my collection. A chance to own either or (especially the LeMat) at such a reasonable price would be a dream come true in my opinion. Of course Stuart’s name never came up when Rick’s expert gave his opinion.

My question is. What do our Civil War Buffs have to say on the subject. Is the Whitney a desirable edition to your collection and if you found an authentic Civil War era Whitney, would you consider $400 a bargain. I know I would. Then again I’m not an expert. :smile:

I’m looking forward to your opinion :smile:

A flat out steal. Should be ashamed making that offer unless something was wrong with it. It was the third most used revolver. Attached are a couple of mine. Fairly early on & Navy marked for Army.
Whitney Navy Ser.#2669  #1.jpg
Whitney Navy Ser.#18941  #5.JPG
Whitney Navy Ser.#2669  #16.jpg

It depends on factors such as model/type, condition, martially marked or not etc but around $1,000.00 + would be fair for one in reasonable condition .
Well, I’d agree with you 100%. One of his reasons was the weapon had been fired so much, the wear had made it capable of firing .38 Cal ammunition. This would indicate to me, it’s highly likely, it was used during the war. That being said, the serial number becomes of particular interest. Many weapons were registered to those they were issued too. I’d have to assume that a nation TV show would have done their due diligence before airing the episode.

Pawn Stars is... ****. I have watched outright theft on that show as well as absolute ignorance passed off as expertise. American Pickers is a little better, but not much. I know I wouldn't offer either group anything of mine or suggest to anyone that I know they might get an honest deal from them.

The Whitney revolver is a very good pistol and I've seen quite a few of them converted to metallic cartridge post war in varying condition. I've never seen one for less than $800 and would consider $1200 for one in shootable condition to be a decent price. $400 was simple theft.

Without seeing it I would agree with all my learned colleagues above. one thing you have to remember with pawn stars is its all smoke and mirrors, plus "I have to pay overhead, commission to my staff to sell it and there no telling how long its going to stay on my shelf" :D

Without seeing it I would agree with all my learned colleagues above. one thing you have to remember with pawn stars is its all smoke and mirrors, plus "I have to pay overhead, commission to my staff to sell it and there no telling how long its going to stay on my shelf" :D
Pay over and costs etc all salesmen garb... then the on the flip side he will mark it 1500 and the first 1000 walks out the door with it! And tell you it was a little old lady’s and she only shot it on sundays after church! Wait or is that what the car Salemens told me...... lol

The Whitney Navy revolver was the fourth most purchased Civil War Union handgun trailing only Colt, Remington and Starr revolvers. The Whitney Navy Revolver and Whitney Pocket Revolver both had a very light cylinder scene. Here are photos of my Whitney Navy Second Model, Second Type cylinder depicting an eagle, shield and lion. $400 is a steal, $1500 is the low end for a very good conditioned specimen and excellent conditioned Whitney Navy Revolvers can command prices in the mid four figures.

20180809_202434.jpg

20180809_200341.jpg

20180809_202514.jpg

20180809_202653.jpg

Whitney Navy Revolvers can command prices in the mid four figures.

Yes they can but only if they are in the fantastic condition yours are in. The one in question is an unknown as we have no photos.

I'm not so sure it was outright highway robbery, or at least inconsistent with a typical pawn shop. I grew hanging around a little pawn shop owned by a close family friend and was always interested in the guns, typically he would buy a gun for about three to four times what he was going to sell it for. (Reason I say only ever sell guns privately and not to shops). He'd buy an old Remington 870 for 40-60 and sell it for 150-220. It seems that most estimates on its value are around 800-1,200. If he sells it for that his markup wouldn't be out of line with most other shops I've seen.

Back