Efforts to save a really neat GAR hall in Lynn, MA

Once the largest GAR halls, this gem has photos of it's members on the walls. It was almost lost as members died off and finally was assumed by the city.
An effort is underway to restore it.

Check it out.

1615254380304.png

Thanks for posting! The GAR hall in Gettysburg, is as interesting as the battlefield, to study, and this appears to have even more! Great find!

As far as the British influence on lodgement, it was also very strong across most benevolent associations formed in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

There's a similar GAR Hall converted to a Museum in Vernon, Connecticut. It was pretty cool, but it's also pretty cash strapped. When I was down there to read a diary from Andersonville, they said that they used to have an O'Dea print of the prison, but they had just sold it in order to be able to keep their doors open.

Among the G.A.R.’s varied collections are: the Capstan of the U.S.S. Kearsage, which stands in the middle of the meeting hall, a stuffed bald eagle, a mascot belonging to a Wisconsin regiment, a cannonball from the Battle of Spotsylvania, documents signed by Abraham Lincoln, and the last flag to fly over Richmond, Virginia from the Civil War

Thanks for posting! The GAR hall in Gettysburg, is as interesting as the battlefield, to study, and this appears to have even more! Great find!

As far as the British influence on lodgement, it was also very strong across most benevolent associations formed in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
It is a very spiritual presence. I imagine a silent chamber where echoes die at every utterance.
Lubliner.

Among the G.A.R.’s varied collections are: the Capstan of the U.S.S. Kearsage, which stands in the middle of the meeting hall, a stuffed bald eagle, a mascot belonging to a Wisconsin regiment, a cannonball from the Battle of Spotsylvania, documents signed by Abraham Lincoln, and the last flag to fly over Richmond, Virginia from the Civil War
I believe the GAR had a "Kearsage Post" in Boston.

There's a similar GAR Hall converted to a Museum in Vernon, Connecticut. It was pretty cool, but it's also pretty cash strapped. When I was down there to read a diary from Andersonville, they said that they used to have an O'Dea print of the prison, but they had just sold it in order to be able to keep their doors open.

Interesting. That's only 25 min from where I live. I'll be visiting it soon... hopefully it's still open.

Back