Edwin Forbes sketches of The Battle of Gettysburg

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host
iew%20of%20Little%20Round%20Top%20and%20the%20Devil's%20Den,%20held%20by%20the%20Fifth%20Corps_s.jpg

“The battle of Gettysburg. View of Little Round Top and the Devil’s Den, held by the Fifth Corps,” by Edwin Forbes, sketched on July 4, 1863.

f%20Little%20Round%20Top%20and%20the%20Devil's%20Den,%20held%20by%20the%20Fifth%20Corps_detail_s.jpg

A detail from the above sketch.

During Gettysburg, it is alleged that he hid under a wagon near Little Round Top during a particularly energetic bombardment of the Union line. Even if this is true, he probably was not alone. By the third day of the battle, he had positioned himself at a more strategic viewpoint and was able to observe Pickett’s Charge firsthand.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGu25Etiskp9Ljp9VitEwUMC006SJS2ValLNCXZ_K4_uovM3QUvQ.jpg

It just put me in mind of this sketch i did,start to finish on the field during the action.Its complete.no fine tuning or anything.Quite proud of it,cause it really put me in the shoes of Forbes and Waud,and Vizetelly,without fear of live rounds,mind you.Its one I keep permanantly in my book.
L9iaZpG.jpg

Sorry.not trying to hi-jack the thread,but Forbes drawing and subsequent painting just reminded me of it.Perhaps one day i will do a more refined drawing and use both as a teaching tool.School days are a blast!When the kids start asking me questions i cant answer,I just take out my sketchbook with over fifty drawings,now,and they just shut up and have fun looking at the pitchers,hehe.

A good site on Edwin Forbes and other 19th century artists who worked for "Frank Leslie's Illustrated Weekly" go to:

http://idesweb.bc.edu/becker/about

This is The Becker Collection . Drawings of the American Civil War Era.

An interesting fact on Edwin Forbes is that in 1876 many of his drawings from the war were made into copper glass etchings and published in "Life Studies of the Great Army." He was admired by General William T. Sherman who bought the first proof and donated it to the U.S. government.

Nice link,thank-you.
So much great art came from these guys that went out and sketched for thier papers.It has been a whole new experience for me,researching them.Funny,how as a kid I used to pore over these drawings and paintings,and now 50 years later,I am just now beginning to study the artists.

Well,my reenacting impression is that of Frank Vizetelly,for The London Illustrated.I like him because he traveled,camped and lived with the Confederate armies starting with the Peninsula Campaign.He was a huge favorite of Jeb stuart,and really most all the southern generals who he came in contact with.His story is really cool and tragic as well.

always such a big fan. iirc the first battle he wanted to sketch he wandered up near the fighting to get a good view, and promptly took of running. you could tell he was laughing over it in hind sight. He said he went and got a telescope and a tall tree.

I am still kickin myself in the donkey for not getting to the Correspondents Memorial on south mountain when i was up for the 150th Antietam.Just not enough time.

These are all great photos of some amazing sketches. What a great way to learn more about the Civil War, through these pictures.

Sorry.not trying to hi-jack the thread,but Forbes drawing and subsequent painting just reminded me of it.Perhaps one day i will do a more refined drawing and use both as a teaching tool.School days are a blast!When the kids start asking me questions i cant answer,I just take out my sketchbook with over fifty drawings,now,and they just shut up and have fun looking at the pitchers,hehe.

Outstanding work, hey how about starting a thread and posting your work, would love to see them...

thanks wilbur.
my work is in threads all over the forum,and my site where there is a lot of my stuff,is linked everytime I post
Starting a thread exclusively of my work,seems a bit pretentious,but I appreciate the sentiment.I am grateful everyday that I was given this skill that centers me like most nothing else,and dont know what I would be or do without it.

I was wrong.when I set up my profile here i didnt know how to turn my site link into an actual click link,and still dont,hehe.Anyway its easy to type>kborg.org< into your browser

I am still working on adding an actual section of my sketches besides what there.

Back