Edwards, MS

Tom Hughes

Sergeant Major
Edwards scene.jpg

Traveling from Jackson to Vicksburg, MS on old Highway 80, I stopped momentarily to snap this picture of this downtown scene of Edwards. During the civil war, Edwards Depot was an active site during the campaign for Vicksburg.
If you notice the large house on the hill, this is supposedly the house built by the first millionaire in Hinds County.
And if you are a movie lover, you remember this railroad scene from the movie "O Brother Where Art Thou".
Sleepy little town with a history.
Hope you enjoy the scene!

Back before I-20 was built we went on family trips from Jackson where we lived to our farm in Louisiana. US 80 went through the center of Edwards, there was an embankment which a lare ‘E’ where the road made a turn in town, I remember it well.

There's something about the quality of this image that made me think it was a painting. Very well captured @Tom Hughes .
Thank you!
I wanted to stop and see where "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" had the final scene shot but alas due to tire problems I had to keep going.
When they filmed the movie, the old wooden bridge over the railroad tracks was still in use. About 10 years ago, they rebuilt the bridge using the concrete. It's more sturdy, that's for sure. When we would drive over the wooden bridge, we would hold our breath and say a small prayer....lol.

Back before I-20 was built we went on family trips from Jackson where we lived to our farm in Louisiana. US 80 went through the center of Edwards, there was an embankment which a lare ‘E’ where the road made a turn in town, I remember it well.
yes, and at that large turn the letters "EDWARDS" is still spelled out against the embankment. If you recall, the old Edwards school stood on the plateau on top of the embankment. Dang thing was a two story white wash structure. I always thought it was kind of big for such a small community. The old gym is still standing to the right, just before you make the hard turn to the left.

And if you are a movie lover, you remember this railroad scene from the movie "O Brother Where Art Thou".

Here is a photo I took several years ago of Edwards. Look close. You will notice the word “Dixon’s” painted on one of the brick buildings. That was painted by Hollywood for the filming of “O Brother Where Art Though” all those many years ago. It is still there and holding up well. That brick building with “Dixon’s” on it was part of the last scene in that movie.

EA0DD3DF-8E96-4EFD-A758-50C020B7D170.jpeg

3A30DCAE-8DC5-41E1-B4A2-93BFEB125ECD.jpeg

In 2019 during the "CWT Invades Vicksburg" muster, it was pouring down rain, and I was riding I'm sure with @Ole Miss we passed through there going to Raymond, and as we went over that bridge, I was thinking to myself looking around "Dang this place looks a lot like that town at the end of O Brother Where Art Thou."

Literally 2 seconds later someone spoke up and said it was, and I ain't been able to remember the name of the town since. (Civil War Battlefields on the mind.)

I like that movie, and when he was still living my Grandad always appreciated me showing it to him as the music and everything else took him back to his childhood.

Its a Great little Southern town. When we would go from Jackson to Vicksburg when I was a little boy you had to go thru Edwards. When we were digging the CS camps in Bovina we would stop at a place and get breakfast in Edwards. Can't remember the name but all the locals ate there. BTW I'm a Dapper Dan Man and in my younger day day I would Runn Of T

Was some of the movie filmed there?

The railroad depicted at the start of the movie was the Yazoo and Mississippi Valley Railroad. I dont know where the tracks ran but it passed thru the Delta, such as Greenwood and I guess it went to Vicksburg. But it only dates back to the 1940’s or so and was bought by Illunois Central RR.

Actually It was called crossing the dog. its where the Southern crossed the Y&MV RR. It was bought by the IC&G

Its a Great little Southern town. When we would go from Jackson to Vicksburg when I was a little boy you had to go thru Edwards. When we were digging the CS camps in Bovina we would stop at a place and get breakfast in Edwards. Can't remember the name but all the locals ate there. BTW I'm a Dapper Dan Man and in my younger day day I would Runn Of T
On our trips from Jackson to Louisiana we always stopped for breakfast at a place on Washington St. near the point where old US 80 joined it. I remember the route we took through town went through the park, there was an iron bridge over a ravine at one point, very scenic. Do you remember that and is it still there?

yes, and at that large turn the letters "EDWARDS" is still spelled out against the embankment. If you recall, the old Edwards school stood on the plateau on top of the embankment. Dang thing was a two story white wash structure. I always thought it was kind of big for such a small community. The old gym is still standing to the right, just before you make the hard turn to the left.
Well I’ll be danged. There it is on the satellite image! I can’t believe I remembered from nearly 60 years ago but do recall it impressed me as a little kid.
D8C01405-E0A6-4238-9755-3F0E2379CBFD.jpeg

@alan polk and I use to eat at the Stuckey's/DQ when it was there. Oh, those were the days!!

Was some of the movie filmed there?

The railroad depicted at the start of the movie was the Yazoo and Mississippi Valley Railroad. I dont know where the tracks ran but it passed thru the Delta, such as Greenwood and I guess it went to Vicksburg. But it only dates back to the 1940’s or so and was bought by Illunois Central RR.
I know the exact spot where they filmed the opening scenes....It was about 7 miles south of Yazoo City off Eagle Bend Road. I know the man that owns that land.

Back