Edward L. Thomas and his brigade of Georgians

Laura, this is a very significant source detailing the role of the 35th Georgia on July 2.
Thanks Tom. I thought you might have some comments on it when you had a chance to read it. :D Certainly seems to shed some new light on their position on day 2? I had no idea about that discrepenciy in the number of prisoners taken from Posey by the 12th New Jersey but if the 35th and other regiments of Thomas' brigade were down there, maybe that's the answer as to where those prisoners came from? I hope you'll let us know if the number captured from the 35th GA and other regiments of Thomas' brigade corroborate the theory?

I sure hope @xlsteve sees this thread soon.

Thanks Tom. I thought you might have some comments on it when you had a chance to read it. :D Certainly seems to shed some new light on their position on day 2? I had no idea about that discrepenciy in the number of prisoners taken from Posey by the 12th New Jersey but if the 35th and other regiments of Thomas' brigade were down there, maybe that's the answer as to where those prisoners came from? I hope you'll let us know if the number captured from the 35th GA and other regiments of Thomas' brigade corroborate the theory?

I sure hope @xlsteve sees this thread soon.

From Busey and Martin's Regimental Strengths and Losses at Gettysburg, page 293:

Thomas' Brigade: 1326 battle strength, 264 casualties (34 killed, 127 wounded, 103 missing/captured)
Field and Staff: 4, 0 casualties
14th Georgia: 331 battle strength, 44 casualties (6 killed, 27 wounded, 11 missing/captured)
35th Georgia: 331 battle strength, 90 casualties (11 killed, 37 wounded, 42 missing/captured)
45th Georgia: 331 battle strength, 45 casualties (5 killed, 32 wounded, 8 missing/captured)
49th Georgia: 329 battle strength, 85 casualties (12 killed, 31 wounded, 42 missing/captured)

In contrast, Posey's Brigade (which was in the area of the Bliss Farm) lost only 17 men missing/captured.

Ryan

As you can see below, I overlayed my map with Google's modern Earth view and it lines up pretty well. So, I'm not sure what you mean about it being wrong about the position of Long Lane. However, it does appear that the map's position of the Bliss buildings is slightly east of where they actually were, but not far enough to be relevant to the discussion.

By the way, I was inspired during one visit to walk along the historic Long Lane and did experience the Stevens Run, sinking marsh, wetlands and ticks! I even scaled a fence and almost fell into the muck.:unsure:
View attachment 125611

By your map overlay it appears to me that it’s sad that the housing market has taken over the Battlefield!

Thanks for sharing this awesome article and photos. Enjoyed reading this article.

Thomas' Brigade: 1326 battle strength, 264 casualties (34 killed, 127 wounded, 103 missing/captured)
Field and Staff: 4, 0 casualties
14th Georgia: 331 battle strength, 44 casualties (6 killed, 27 wounded, 11 missing/captured)
35th Georgia: 331 battle strength, 90 casualties (11 killed, 37 wounded, 42 missing/captured)
45th Georgia: 331 battle strength, 45 casualties (5 killed, 32 wounded, 8 missing/captured)
49th Georgia: 329 battle strength, 85 casualties (12 killed, 31 wounded, 42 missing/captured)
I haven't located a newspaper report of the casualties in the 35th Georgia, but I did find ones from the 14th, 45th, and 49th GA forwarded from Hagerstown on July 8 to the newspaper back home.
1567892556359.png

1567900701114.png

1567892676085.png

Weekly Constitutionalist. (Augusta, Ga.), August 05, 1863, page 2, column 5.
Here's a link to the newspaper article, which lists the names of each man and the nature of his wounds. I recorded the numbers just as they are reported in the article. Those who were listed as mortally wounded are recorded in the Wounded column; those who were identified as wounded and captured are recorded in the Captured/missing column. https://gahistoricnewspapers.galileo.usg.edu/lccn/sn87090503/1863-08-05/ed-1/seq-2/

Last edited:
View attachment 323495
Excerpted from: "Old 35th Georgia: A Brief History of the 35th Regiment of Georgia Volunteers," Captain W. T. Irvine, The Sunny South. (Atlanta, Ga.), May 02, 1891, page 5.
View attachment 323494
@xlsteve

View attachment 323495
Excerpted from: "Old 35th Georgia: A Brief History of the 35th Regiment of Georgia Volunteers," Captain W. T. Irvine, The Sunny South. (Atlanta, Ga.), May 02, 1891, page 5.
View attachment 323494
@xlsteve
Thank you for posting the newspaper excerpt about the 35th Georgia at Gettysburg. The information regarding the position and actions of the skirmish line of the 35th on July 2nd is particularly significant. It is something I will definitely use (and properly footnote) in my research and writing.

Thank you for posting the newspaper excerpt about the 35th Georgia at Gettysburg. The information regarding the position and actions of the skirmish line of the 35th on July 2nd is particularly significant. It is something I will definitely use (and properly footnote) in my research and writing.

Just before they marched north, Colonel Robert W Folsom sent the flag of the 14th Georgia back to Georgia, along with a letter detailing her service up to that point. The regiment had just been presented with a new flag and so the "bullet-scarred and shell-ridden" banner was sent home, to "be deposited for preservation among the archives as a memento to future generations."

In a letter dated "Headquarters, 14th Reg't Ga. Vols., Camp Near Fredericksburg, Va. June 14, '63" Colonel Folsom says among other things: "...although six gallant color-bearers have fallen while bearing it aloft o'er the ensanguined plain, and five hundred and thirty-four officers and men of the 14th Georgia have fallen killed and wounded, while defending it..."

Col Folsom tells us they had already had 534 men killed and wounded.... Before Gettysburg. So add the 35 K/W from Gettysburg (see post 24 above) -- and by July 4, 1863, the 14th GA had 569 men killed and wounded.
1686975449330.png
1686975532969.png

Weekly Constitutionalist. (Augusta, Ga.), September 09, 1863, page 1.

Back