Edward Bates; United States Attorney General

civilwarincolor

2nd Lieutenant
05607cwt.jpg

Born in Virginia in 1793 Edward Bates served as a sergeant during the war of 1812, following the war he began working with his brother, who was an attorney. Within a few years he was admitted to the bar and began to practice law. In the 1820’s he was elected to the Missouri House of Representatives and then to the US Congress in 1827 for one term. During the 1830’s he served in the state senate, but was unsuccessful at U.S. Senate. By the 1840’s he was politically active, but earned his living practicing law.

During the 1850’s he refused an appointment as Secretary of War and was considered as the Vice-Presidential nominee in 1852 as a Whig. In the 1860 election he was one of the four leading Republican candidates for President, ultimately losing to Lincoln. Lincoln appointed him Attorney General after the election and Bates served till 1864.

In the beginning he was supportive of Lincoln and helped to enact several of his polices. Lincoln and Bates did not agree, however, on emancipation and recruitment of blacks in the Army. When the position of Chief Justice came open in 1864, Bates felt he was right for the job, but instead it was offered to Salmon Chase. With this he decided to leave Lincoln’s cabinet.

Bates returned to Missouri and by 1865 had left politics altogether to spend time with his wife and 17 children. He died in St. Louis in 1869.

http://images.historyinfullcolor.com/p545413700/h186428b7#h186428b7
http://images.historyinfullcolor.com/p631504506/h4ef23e96#h4ef23e96

I'm sorry to go off-topic here David, but I think I found your problem with edges, that I'm seeing anyway - outline the area, then paintbucket once to get the entire inner part filled in, then colorize with brush for the remainder, never touch paintbucket otherwise, unless you turn the hardness of it down, too, I don't know if you can do this.

I'm sorry to go off-topic here David, but I think I found your problem with edges, that I'm seeing anyway - outline the area, then paintbucket once to get the entire inner part filled in, then colorize with brush for the remainder, never touch paintbucket otherwise, unless you turn the hardness of it down, too, I don't know if you can do this.

Zuzah, yes the outline and paintbucket technique is the one I taught you :wink:. Which area looked harsh to you? Everything was done with that technique except the studio background, which uses a solid background and then erases the area to reveal the rest of the image.

Zuzah, yes the outline and paintbucket technique is the one I taught you :wink:. Which area looked harsh to you? Everything was done with that technique except the studio background, which uses a solid background and then erases the area to reveal the rest of the image.
Oh yeah I know, I'm still using it, but I think you're pressing more than what's necessary - You're using 10% hardness brush like me, and it still looks rough whenever colors meet, it could be that you're colorizing in normal blend mode, then switching to color/soft light.

Oh yeah I know, I'm still using it, but I think you're pressing more than what's necessary - You're using 10% hardness brush like me, and it still looks rough whenever colors meet, it could be that you're colorizing in normal blend mode, then switching to color/soft light.

Yes, I use normal bleed mode to trace the outline. What I usually do to compensate for that is to turn the flow down to 50% to do the outline. I think I may have left it at 100% in this one, that usually causes some issues when the colors come together.

Back