Edmondson, Belle Confederate Spy

catspjamas

First Sergeant
Isabella Buchanan Edmondson was born in Mississippi, in 1840, to Andrew Jackson and Mary Ann Howard Edmondson. She was the youngest of eight children. At the start of the war between the states, the Edmondsons were living in Shelby County, south of Memphis, TN. They were strong supporters of the confederacy. Two of Belle's brother's served in the army and fought at Shiloh. Belle nursed the wounded at Shiloh. When the Federals occupied Memphis, the Edmondson farm was caught between opposing forces. Scouts from both armies roamed the area. From approximately 1862 to 1864 she smuggled goods and information to the Southern encampments. Letters, medicine and money were frequently secreted away in her bosom and petticoats. Her frequent trips through enemy lines attracted attention and a warrant was issued for her arrest. She escaped to Mississippi, where she remained for the duration of the war. She was 33 years old when she died in 1873. She is buried in Elmwood Cemetery, alongside her parents. Her diary can be read here:

http://docsouth.unc.edu/fpn/edmondson/edmondson.html

I also recommend a study of Mary Kate Patterson, a lady who was associated with Sam Davis here in Tennessee. As much as we sometimes hesitate to admit it, ladies are stronger and smarter than most men will acknowledge. It took me a while to figure that one out. I ain't very smart; just ask my wife.

Back