Ed Bearss on disintering bodies (at least at Antietam)

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
I'm watching Ed Bearss do a tour of Antietam on YouTube. I'm wondering if I understand him correctly. When the bodies were later disinterred, they people doing it were paid by the large bones - skull, pelvis, humerus, femur and not the small bones like phalanges (fingers) and other small bones in the body.

Am I understanding that correctly? If so, was that for all battlefields or only Antietam? And if I am understanding it correctly, than there are a lot of bits left of soldiers in these battlefields.

Even eerier was a brisk market in teeth for false teeth. Those little bones would bring more money than the big ones.

The farmers did have a problem with this. If a big battle is fought on your land, you still have to put in a crop eventually whether people are there or not. That's how the McGavock cemetery was begun. The largest number of dead had been buried in a farmer's wheat field and the following year he was going to plow it up and plant it, dead people or no. There was a hue and cry raised about it but he insisted he had no choice - however, the McGavocks offered to retrieve as many bodies as they could and rebury them on a piece of their property. I don't know how many farmers ended up doing this, but the Franklin battlefield was noticed because it was a gigantic fight with gigantic numbers of dead.

The Warrior's Honor: Ethnic War and the Modern Conscience p113

bones-jpg.10865.jpg

bones2-jpg.10866.jpg

Bonemeal

Last edited:
Back